1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Much Diatomaceous Earth to Use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pwog, Aug 1, 2011.

1. pwog

pwog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Hi All,

I have been going through the posts on Diatomaceous Earth, but I can't find how much I should use. I use pine shavings in my coop.

Any advice?

P

2. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Why do you want to use DE?

What problem/issue are you trying to solve with it?

Don't just use stuff because other folks use stuff. I don't use DE at all (yet). I don't have a problem with moisture or mites. (the two things I see/hear folks using DE for)

Fog

3. pwog

pwog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Well, That is why I want to use it (mites and Moisture) - I already got a 50 lb bag (food grade). I figured I would be proactive.

4. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Hobby Farms Magazine uses DE in a recipe for a dust bath.

1 part of fine sand
    1 part ashes
    1 part garden soil (no fertilizer)
    1 part DE

Mix together for a dust bath.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I love DE! It's one of the best products ever for chickens. Not only does it prevent mites, fleas, bugs, flies, bugs, ect... It keeps the odor down. I have not had one single bug in the coop, not even a fly. It takes care of internal worms if eaten too.

I sprinkle a little on the concrete floor then add my chips. I will add more DE every two weeks, but I try and use it sparingly. It's very dusty! I wear a mask when cleaning the coop or using DE. DE is 100% natural, but make sure it's food grade. It's great for human use too, but I've never tried it. I guess it detoxifies your body.

6. billl2099

billl2099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Quote:i agree, love the stuff. i also feed it to the feral cats as a dewormer,

7. Klwright1122

Klwright1122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    So...I bought a 40 pound bag the other day too... We have gotten so much rain this month and with the humidity--my run and coop are smelly, flies, etc... I have the "fine" DE. Can I put it in a fertilizer spreader and spread it my coop that way...or do I have to rake it in...mix it up, etc.?

8. clanreed

clanreed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    Quote:I think you will find that the DE is to fine for the fertilizer spreader. To spread DE in the garden or on the animals(goats and dogs), we have always used a very fine kitchen sieve.

~Shannon

9. Moonkssd

Moonkssd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Marietta, Pa
    I use a fertilizer spreader for mine in my runs and in my dog run as well and it does a great job

10. kschicks2013

kschicks2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Fernley, Nevada
    Is it okay to sprinkle the DE in the sand and rake it to mix it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by