How much did your coop cost?

ncCHICKS

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
I'm trying to convience my family I'm doing good.
wink.png

I had bought a tractor when I got the chicks for $85, it's quite nice. 8x4x about 2 at peak.

I just built a coop that is overtop the run, if that makes since. It's 4x4 square. The run is 3ft tall and the run is 2 ft. I really need to paint it and I REALLY need to finish it (roof and thinking of getting sides besides plywood) When I get shingles it should be ABOUT $75

How much did your coop cost? How big is it? How many chickens does it house? (please specify sex and size)

We converted a shed into a barn. We used all recycled lumber and some recycled nails/screws. The only thing I spent money on was welded wire, chicken wire and aviary netting. Our run is 22x32 - ish... I'll say 'ish' since DH eyeballed it.
lol.png
It's home to 31 chickens and 1 turkey.

Total cost - $130?

My first coop was about $500 to $600 i built it from new material. It was 8x4x4. the run was 15x15. It has 12 nest in it with 25 hens and one rooster. Now i'm up to 12 coops. That tractor don't sound like a bad price. I would say if it's in fair condition it was a good price. Good luck with it.
thumbsup.gif

As you know I started out with the same exact tractor coop as you $85. Our new upgraded garden cottage (5 1/2' x 4' with a run underneath when they get up in the morning) they have now was reclaimed materials mostly. But I did upgrade some things to cost out at $94.

We used the pine siding sheets from Home Depot at $16.95 each (we used 3) and then the shingles we got some free off of craigslist, and then for the one's we needed more of Home Depot sold us some for $0.72 each because the package ripped. ALSO I bought a bucket of reject mix paint from Home Depot marked down to $5!

Pimping the green coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=90535&p=2

Don't
be afraid to shop around...

OH, IF you would like, I have a truck bed FULL of scrap plywood... small 2x4 pieces.... just scraps of our scraps. They are loaded in my husband's truck to be hauled off. So if you want to come get them and see what you need let me know.

Last edited:
Umm, we don't talk about that around here....The chickens are cute and the coop is wonderful. That is all we are going to say on the subject. But despite that, we are enchanted with our Delightful Dozen and the rainbow of eggs we get each day!

I think I spent $15 on screws and nails for my 4 x 4 foot coop .... The rest was either Freecycled (roof) or scrounged (wood). Then I spent $100 on a kennel for the run and about $50 for hardware wire to predator-proof it.

The sad thing is it looks like I spent a lot less than that! It was my first building project (and looks it!) Oh well, they don't complain!

Fortunately, when my wife asked the same question, I seemed to have "misplaced" all of my receipts. Since I am not in her presence at the moment, I would venture to say in the $400 range.

The coop is 8x8, with a lean to type roof that is 7ft tall in the front and 6ft in the back. It is built two ft. off of the ground on treated 4x4's, and has treated wood for the subfloor and floor, with vinyl flooring. The roof is plywood covered by galvanized sheet metal. All of the materials were purchased new, excepting the window.

The coop is probably over built, but I wanted it to last. I don't currently have a run constructed as they free range. But I have a 10x10 dog kennel to make a secure run with, so that I can leave them out if we are gone all day.

It was expensive, just for the few chickens that we have, but with the price of eggs going up, it may turn out to be worth it. I forgot to mention that it currently houses 8 BO's.

Last edited:
The size of my coop is a 14x14 corner stall in the barn. It's enclosed in chicken wire with a screen door for me. The ladies have 2 exits that we rotate using that lead to ther 12x10 outdoor run. The sex of my coop is female. :lo:loll:
lau.gif
. The material needed to enclose stall and build run were about $200.

Back
Top Bottom