How much did YOUR first egg cost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If this needs to be moved to "games jokes and fun" let me know! It is a sort of fun thing, but I thought Egglaying forum would work [​IMG]

How much did your first egg cost? (what do you think you spent on your chickens including but not limited to feed, housing, bedding, treats, and time before getting their first eggs.)

[​IMG]

(Please keep this thread friendly and fun! [​IMG] )

My own guesstimate would have to be... 200-300 dollars so far. I am fairly new yet [​IMG]

Next?

2. fancy

fancy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    West Palm Beach, FL
    It sounds like part of the chicken math equation!!!

3. CheepSunglasses

CheepSunglasses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Honestly? About $3500. I was a nervous momma, so we built a very secure coop and big run:cool:

4. Plucky Pullet

Plucky Pullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2010
    I haen't had any eggs yet (my babies are too young) and we are pushing the $300 mark :)

5. Dixieangeln

Dixieangeln Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    So far about $400 and still no egg yet-- but about to buy some NICE chickens that will hopefully give me an egg!! [​IMG]

6. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    If I have to figure all my costs into the first egg, then I would say $2000.... Next egg was cheap! Around 20 cents or so! [​IMG] I guess it is cheaper than designing, making a new car model..... I assume the first car off the line (figured the same as my egg) costs 20 million or so... the second one $ 18000.....

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Several hundred. Over 300- I believe. And I was lucky. I'm paying off the friend ( a contractor) who built the coop in compost and eggs...which will take a while considering I only have four birds. I only had to pay for materials. Oh...add food, shavings, heat lamp, feeders and waterers (the size increased), the stock tank I used for a brooder (Oh, but that will be a planter, right?), treats... Make that probably over 400-. That first egg was the best egg I ever tasted though! Totally worth it. [​IMG]

8. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Let's see, I got 2 eggs the first day, so I'd guess they cost about $800-1000 each. But who's counting? [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Under $1,800.00. But just barely. (That first eBay coop was EXPENSIVE, and when I built the A-Frame, it was with all brand new materials and supplies, including the power tools.)

10. CubRed

CubRed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    25 cent...

that was 40 years ago...uncle sold me two hens and one rooster...he feed 'em...those three RIR's provided me chickens/eggs until 10yrs ago...hurricane killed the flock...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by