How much direct sunlight should chickens have max.?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsegirl1789, Aug 6, 2013.

1. horsegirl1789

horsegirl1789 New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi! I am hopefully getting some laying hens to put in our backyard. We live in Southern California. The place where we would probably put the chickens gets quite a bit direct sunlight from 11am or noon on. Is that ok?? We will have a run and a coop. But it can get hot in California?? I don't want to get chickens and then fry them from the sun or the heat!!!!!! We really need some good advice!! Thanks!!

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    If you can plant bushes and trees with them or get a tarp, large piece of plywood or roof on the run, heat without shade isn't good for chickens.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  3. horsegirl1789

horsegirl1789 New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    So a plywood roof would prevent the heat correct?

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    From my experience, yes. Last year, I did a petting zoo and that's what they gave me, a chicken pen with a big piece of plywood on the top...I think I have a picture. Also keep an eye out for direct sunlight of the sides of runs too because the plywood won't always provide shade.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Plenty of SHADE will help keep things cool along with open ventilation. Any cover over most of the run is advised to ensure shade. Areas of direct sunlight are great to keep things dry and if the birds want to sunbathe.

[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, plywood roof or even a tarp does well. They'll need shade, your heat would be too much for them. Lots of ventilation in the coop, also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by