How much dirt?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stilldeb, Jul 8, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I need somebody smarter than me to figure out how much dirt I need to fill in a large hole in my yard. We recently removed a really big (27' round x 4 1/2' deep) above ground pool - to make room for more chickens, of course! - as the kids are grown and gone and having their own kids and I use the hot tub, and the pool was more maintenance than fun anymore. Anyway, it left a huge hole in the yard as the yard was uneven, so it is 27' across and nearly 2' deep on one side and maybe 6" on the other with a sand base in it, and fills up with water when it rains (like last night). I assume I will need to overfill it to allow for some settling, but have no idea how much dirt to put in it. Our coops are mobile, and we want to be able to eventually use this part of the yard just like the rest to put our coops on, after grass has grown on it, etc.

Help?

deb g

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would order in one 10yd dump truck of topsoil and rake it out evenly leaving the excess mounded on the deep end of the hole

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    A hole 27 feet in diameter and averaging 4 feet deep would need 85 cubic yards of fill. That is quite a hole in your yard.

Chris

4. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    The above ground pool was 4 1/2 ft deep but the hole is slanted (well the hole is level, the yard is slanted) and it is 2 ft deep on one side and only about 6 inches on the opposite side. But yeah, it's still a big hole and we are anxious to get rid of it. Yeah, I could start with one truck load and see how that goes. Thanks for the replies!

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by