How much do 4 week old chicks sleep at night?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickensRock01, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ChickensRock01

ChickensRock01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2014
    I'm just curious, do chicks sleep the whole night when they're 4 weeks old? These are my first chicks so i don't know a lot on how to raise chickens. I heard on another thread that they sleep only an hour when they are little. Does this refer to their whole life or only one week?

2. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    Chicks that old need heat lamps. They make a lot of light they will only sleep about 10 min at a time then one will wake all the others up. They don't sleep all night for long time or till u turn the light off

3. ChickensRock01

Jan 10, 2014
    I have a heat lamp (red) am i supposed to turn it off at night?
    Thats true if one wakes up all of them wake up! LOL

4. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    No they will sleep as much as the need to they r like doge when they are chick all they do is sleep

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    They sleep sporadically, but will remain content with enough space, proper temperature, and adequate feed and water. Here are some interesting facts about light:
    http://www.sp.uconn.edu/~mdarre/poultrypages/light_inset.html

Research has shown that the color of light can have many different effects on behavior, growth and reproduction in poultry. Birds sense light through their eyes (retinal photoreceptors) and through photosensitive cells in the brain (extra-retinal photoreceptors). Since long wavelengths of light (towards red end of the spectrum) penetrate the skin and skull more efficiently than short wavelengths, it has been observed that growth and behavior are linked to retinal photoreception (and shorter wavelengths) whereas the reproduction has been linked to extra-retinal photoreceptors. From these observations it has been reported that blue light has a calming effect on birds, however, red has been used to reduce cannibalism and feather picking.

7. ChickensRock01

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks So Much!!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

The heat lamp needs to stay on all day 24/7. You don't turn it off, unless the temp of your house is hotter than the brooder temp. Chicks sleep a lot. They should be sleeping thru the entire night at this point. Great that you are using a red bulb. Red has good qualities and is not an exciting type light. It also allows for a normal sleeping pattern at night.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by