How much do chickens need to eat each day??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TwoCrows, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have 4 Black Australorp girls that are just about to turn 4 months old. Up until about 3 months old, they ate like pigs, constantly thru out the day. However over the past month, the eating hs slowed down to a crawl. I mean, I will put out about a cup of food, and it is still there at the end of they day. They have free range of a garden area, however since having no rain since winter, it is all dead dried grasses and dead weeds. It has also been in the low 90's lately and I don't think they have much of an appetite. The feed is fresh at all times, and I even tried opening a new bag to get them to eat.

So what gives? Should I worry about them not eating much? Seems like all they are eating is some dried grass and only a few bites of feed.

How much should 4 month olds be eating right now? Thanks....Leyla

2. islandchickens

islandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Our 5 month old EE & Buffs are eating about a cup to cup 1/2 each a day, along w/ some special treats: grass clippings, watermelon & fresh peas. Might be the heat.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They're probably eating less for two reasons: They've gotten through the worst of their growth spurt, and - although the grass may be dried, they are probably finding enough useable green stuff and bugs to satisfy them. Unless they just feel noticeably bony when you pick them up, I'd just be happy they're eating less feed. That's one advantage of doing some freeranging [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:This is kind of what I had thought, in that they have grown up now so much and don't need as much food. They do have a "morning feast" and also an "evening feasting"of their food, but during they day the don't eat much of it. Sometimes if I moisten up some of the feed in a bowl, it will coax them to eat more. They sure do like their treats however, LOL, never shunning the goodies! [​IMG]

Thanks for the info. Nobody is going hungry in this yard! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by