How much do chicks sleep?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horseemom, Apr 27, 2008.

1. horseemom

horseemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    So we finally got our little Silkie chicks (3) and maybe they are tired from the travel home, but they sure sleep alot? When we handle them they fall asleep right in our hands? Is this normal? They are 7-10 days old. Their travel wasn't far, back of the truck to the swap, then 20 min home in a box.

They are so cute, and we are happy to be real chicken owners as opposed to wannabes (well, okay a few ducks to be posers [​IMG])

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It's totally normal for the chicks to fall asleep at any given moment! It freaked me out too, when we got our first day-olds last May. [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Their tiny little bodies are going through a lot right now.

4. horseemom

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Oh good, thats what I thought! Strange they can fall asleep in the hands of a preschooler!? I guess kids wear me out too. I showed them to their bedroom and put the kids and chicks down for naps, I think I need one too! [​IMG]

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. horseemom

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Okay paranoid mom..... [​IMG]

Should they be eating and drinking their first day home? I dipped beaks a few times. They looked a little hot so I decreased the temp a few degrees as they are 10 days or so old and I was ready for day olds. One was picking litter a bit, not eating anything. They just sleep. I worry about dehydration?

7. horseemom

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Well they bounced back and are eating and all but one had alot of water so I am feeling better. The first night is through so I am feeling better! [​IMG]

Now these are Silkies, 2 of them have a little tuft of feathers (crest) on the head, but one doesn't (which is much smaller (younger?)). I was told they were 7-10 days old. Do I have 2 roos and a hen? Oh, no, I might need more chickens!? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by