How much do I feed my bantams?

Freddy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Fresno county, California
How much does everyone feed their bantams? I have seen post that say 1/4 of a pound for an average chicken and 1/3 for heavy ones, but what about bantams. I would really appreciate some input on this and everything else, I'm new to raising chickens at first all I was feeding my chickens was scratch, nothing else! :eek:. Well hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Thanks

Freddy

I let mine free feed. I'm assuming you're not feeding them all scratch anymore? Hopefully not because that is like candy to them.
Bantams are approx. 1/3 the size of a standard chicken, so I'd think they would eat 1/3 the amount of food. But, I think you'd be better off letting them free feed.

My all get free-choice layer pellets. Meaning I have a giant feeder in their coop that I keep full.
That's probably the best way to feed a flock living together. If you have them all caged separately I have no idea how much feed to give them.

Hi Freddy!

We have a Bantams only flock and I have feed available for them 24/7. The laying hens have layer pellets available at all times and I've just started keeping a dish of grower/finisher available at all times for the roosters as the boys don't need the extra calcium of layer pellets. I only feed a bit of scratch, just before roosting time, when the nights are down below 40. Scratch is to chickens as candy is to us!
wink.png

Hope this is some help and welcome to BYC!

Dawn

Thanks for the welcome Dawn. Thanks to the forum I am no longer feeding my poultry just scratch. I have started to feed them half scratch half lay crumbles but will be switching over to full lay feed and scratch as a treat. I do have my breeds separated, I am hoping they will multiply soon so that they have more company. I assumed that since they are smaller that I could feed them half of what a standard chicken eats but I wanted to make sure and not hurt "my children" as my wife puts it. Well thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it.

Freddy ~:>

I let mine free feed. I'm assuming you're not feeding them all scratch anymore? Hopefully not because that is like candy to them.
Bantams are approx. 1/3 the size of a standard chicken, so I'd think they would eat 1/3 the amount of food. But, I think you'd be better off letting them free feed.
They toll me it was bad to let food all they for them. How Truth is that?

Back
Top Bottom