How much do they eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Coock-Ol-Doodle-Doo, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Coock-Ol-Doodle-Doo

Coock-Ol-Doodle-Doo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2007
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    I have two chicks and there eating alot.Dose that mean there meat birds. When I turn on the light they start to eat but there not allways eating.is it normal.

help please
    thanks

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    they may be, but they may be just a fast growing bird.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks generally do eat a lot. Sometimes you wonder how in the world they could possibly process that much food in one day, but then you realize that they also poop a lot!!!! If you really want to know, post pics and someone will probably be able to identify their breed for you.

4. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    its really amazing/disturbing to see a chick poop WHILE its eating. It really gives perspective on the nature of the animal.

5. SugarLandChickenMan

SugarLandChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Quote:I've seen some college roommates do this, I am assuming to save time...it's very disturbing behavior to me, but quite common in the universities during finals week [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  6. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    my chicken book says as a very general rule of thumb, 10 lbs for the first 10 wks per bird

7. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    [​IMG]

sugarland you are hilarious!

8. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    its really amazing/disturbing to see a chick poop WHILE its eating. It really gives perspective on the nature of the animal.

when we had that little pygmy goat, "Spike", this was an every moment occurance!! Look in a field of goats, particularly (sometimes chickens do sit quietly on a roost during the day!!) and notice if you EVER see them NOT eating!! We used to call it "straight exhaust", something was always going in as something else was coming out!! Can't imagine how he got so fat, seems hard to beleive nutrients can be absorbed that quick, lol!!​

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    omg, hahahahha....and you know who you are....hahahahah
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by