1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do they eat?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ashannon, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ashannon

ashannon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    I'm trying to gauge the costs of raising bobwhite quail. Does someone have some good numbers I can go off of? I'm wondering how much each adult quail eats per month? or per week?

Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    There are folks on here that do measure out exactly what their quail eat. I don't. But it is not much. A growing Bobwhite will definitely eat more than an adult quail. But I would guess for one adult Bob at maybe 1 or 2 tablespoons full a day, plus the one CUP they spill in the process of eating these few tablespoons. LOL

I really have no idea here. But as mentioned above, I clean up more waste than what they do eat, that is for sure! An endless battle. [​IMG]

3. Jimsbirdhouse

Jimsbirdhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Gonzales, Texas
    Wasted Feed!!!!!!! WHATS THAT

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I have 12 bobwhites in a pen, they are full grown. I feed purina game bird starter.
    I have a 12" metal feeder and fill it once per day. using 2/3 of a 32 oz cup, but that is volume. I can weigh the feed this afternoon before feeding them.

They eat and drink far less than a japanese quail, imho.

I have seen Jims feeders and they pay for themselves.

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I do know, my japanese quail avg. me about .04 cents per day per bird to feed with a 50# bag of gamebird feed costing me $19

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    How much I really don't know .Jumbo Browns after first week are some BIG EATERS.But they have to to grow so fast.But they waste a lot.Got a few feeders from jimsbirdhouse and that pobably cut waste by 50% (just eyeballing it)...cva34

As someone said before "there eating /pooping machines"

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I weighed the food before filling the feeder for my bobwhites.
    I give them 12 oz food per day, game bird starter, there are 12 birds.
    1 oz. food per bird per day in my pen.
    there are 800 oz in a 50# bag of feed, at 19$ a bag, each oz of feed costs me about 2 cents

and thats my 2 cents.

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    my jumbo brown coturnix eat double that. cost me 4 cents per day to feed each one.

I know with my cots, each bird costs me roughly $1.40 to raise to butcher, my feed cost for processed homegrown quail meat is $4/lb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by