1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do u sell your dressed adult conturnix for?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Jenlyn9483, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm finally to the point where I have enough quail and hatching enough that I feel like I can start selling some dressed. I have had alot of request and inquiries lately and egg sales seem to be slowing down a litttle bit and there fore more to hatch. I sell Live adults for $4 each and I was wondering what some of you think is fair to as per bird for dressed quail. I guess this could have gone on the meat birds etc thread but thought i might get a little faster response here. Thanks!

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Check Your Ag Rules Here In Florida... Unless Usda Inspected And Processed Through Licenced Facility It's Illegal [​IMG]

What I Do Is Advertise "meat Quail" On Craigslist And Sell Them Alive And Kickin For The Buyer To With As They Wish

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

JJ I just looked at your website I give it two thumbs up [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    OK well im giving them to friends as "gifts" and they can donate to the operation:)
    To friends family and neighbors of course, not the general public.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    There Ya Go... Or Like I Said You Can Sell Them Whole And Still Cheepin' ... Every Meat Quail I Have Sold In The Past 5 Yrs Or So Has Been Carried Thru The Gate With It's Head Sticking Outta The Transport Box And A "oh Boy! Where We Goin'?" Look On It's Face [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    David (a Prophet) Had A Good Idea, I Dont Know If He Ever Did It Or Not But He Said Something About Selling Them Alive And Giving Free "bird Processing Lessons" To A Live Audience? ~~~ Whatever Gets 'er Done [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Would it be illegal still if the processed packaging had "Not for Human Consumption" wrote on it? So the folks are buying them for their dogs raw meat diet, right? [​IMG]

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:there used to be fur bearers we could not sell for meat until we had the law changed we sold them as dog food for hunting dogs depends on how many someone is buying but 2-4$ each is easily achievable here it is easier to get this from upwardly mobile folks/ upscale takeout restaurants, Most of my friends rednecks and hillbillies will not pay this much for meat ,they all hunt and think it is free LOL

9. Jenlyn9483

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah the problem is these people dont want to process them theirselves, they'd rather pay extra for the convience. I say I'm selling you live birds, and then processing them as a favor after the fact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by