How much do you charge a dozen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by undercoverchickenlover, Mar 4, 2011.

1. undercoverchickenlover

undercoverchickenlover In the Brooder

Dec 17, 2010
    Well unbelievably I'm starting to have a few dozen more than I need. I've been approached by friends to sell them but so far I just give the extras away. They're brown and green eggs (Wyandottes,RIR and 1 EE) and they make such a fuss when they lay it seems kind of cold blooded to sell their prizes - how do I put a price on them? What is a fair price?[​IMG]

2. PartridgeRckgal

PartridgeRckgal Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Where I live, we get $2/dozen. People will not pay more in this area (NW Florida).

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Same here-$2 a dozen.

4. $4 a dozen.
    I wanted to ask $3 (same as the grocery store for free-range eggs) but my non-poultry-loving husband, who pays the $14.50/50 lb bag of feed monthly, set the price.
    Brightest Blessings!

5. PatS

PatS Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    $4/doz. Chickens free range and are given organic feed and scratch. ($20/50 lbs.)

6. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    $2.50 per doz

7. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Songster

Just went up from $2 to $2.50... again. we went back down a few months ago but me and my egg company partner decided on going back to $2.50

8. sawmane1

sawmane1 Songster

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    western oregon 2.00 a dozen but most give a tip.

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

However much people will pay! [​IMG] It all comes down to supply and demand. We've had people almost force us to take $5.00 / dz. just because they love that our chickens get a lot of free space and they love the pics of the hens. We also live in an area where there is more demand than supply. I think we could easily get $3 - $4 a dz, but we prefer to just give them to family, friends, neighbors when we have extra.

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    $2 a dozen if they pick up - $3 a dozen if I deliver
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: