How much do you charge for finished bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mcdaid36, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Just wondering how much you all sell your finished product for to get some ideas for my first batch of meat birds. I'm sure location makes a difference in prices, but I'd like to get an idea. For what it's worth, I'm in NY, about 1 hour north of NYC.

Thanks!

2. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    We charged 3 dollars a pound. But when the economy was good was getting 3.75 - 4 dollars a pound.

3. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    Yikes! $3 a pound?? then an 8lb chicken would be $24? or do you let them get that big? I have several people that want to buy chickens from me this year. I was going to do all the math on a spread sheet to figure what they cost me. I even had my insurance man add a coverage thing to my homeowners policy cuz I sell my eggs too.

$3 a lb........ [​IMG]

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

The kind of people who would pay that much for home grown birds aren't effected as much by the downturn in the economy as the rest of us. At least in my region that is.

Down in Ithaca(weirdest town on earth) where Cornell University and Ithaca college are, everybody still seems to be able to buy whatever they want.

5. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Yikes! $3 a pound?? then an 8lb chicken would be $24? or do you let them get that big?

No ours average out at 3.5lbs. No body really wants an 8 lb chicken, That I know. That is just too much to handle,cook and then most families would be eating it for 3 dinners. I have found that most want a nice 3-4 lb chicken and most get 2 dinners out of one. Actually had 3 customers this year thank me for the smaller chickens and they actually left another farmer to come buy mine, mainly because of the size.

The kind of people who would pay that much for home grown birds aren't effected as much by the downturn in the economy as the rest of us. At least in my region that is.

Yes you are right, just now days their is less of them. So far have had no problems selling all my broilers before I process.​

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ooh Ithica NY--your right near me-ish? 3$ a pound finished? I would pay that and we've been hit with the economy crunch -thats why Im raising my own fresh chickens and selling the eggs locally-I hope [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Right now, I'm charging $10/bird. I sell them live and offer free processing to avoid some of the regulations.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    very good idea!!

9. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    Where can I find out the regulations I would be facing? I'm in NY.
    Thanks!

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Check with your extension office or Dept of Agriculture. USDA has little regulation for small operations, but the state may regulate more closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by