How much do you charge for non fertile Muscovy Eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by salemskies, Apr 2, 2009.

1. salemskies

salemskies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    I haven't had any luck selling my chicken eggs so I thought I would post them with my Muscovy eggs. I know they are supposed to be excellent for baking. Do any of you sell them and, if so, for how much? I'm in southern California where everything is expensive so I don't want to be over the top, I just need to know a fair price. Thanks![​IMG]

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I sell my duck eggs for the same price as my chicken eggs. The duck eggs are good for baking and tend to be richer than chicken eggs. They also make excellent omlets. However, most folks have never eaten duck eggs and though it is just another egg; they don't find the idea appealing.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Are you trying to sell them online? If so I think the costs of packing and postage is going to price them right out of sight. Try selling them locally, visit Farmer's Markets or Swap Meets. See if others are selling eggs, if so, price them the same or cheaper (Check into local laws first, they vary from place to place) Here locally in NC farm fresh chicken eggs go for about $2/dozen. Since we have a large Asian population duck eggs are in demand with short supply used to be $4/dozen but with the spring pick up in supply duck have fallen to about $3.50. Good Luck! ~gd

4. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I use them for anything I use a chicken egg for. I have not sold any because I don't want to be sued if someone decides my egg made them sick or something like that. Yesterday at an auction they sold some Scovie eggs for $2.00 an egg but I believe those where to use for hatching. I would probably price my duck eggs a dollar or so higher than chicken eggs as they are larger so you can use 1 duck egg in place of 2 chicken eggs for baking.

5. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Those must be some big eggs! When we raised them for eggs they used to average 30oz/doz Large chicken eggs are supposed to average 24oz/doz,~gd

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I sell my cooking duck eggs for $1 an egg or $5 for a half dozen.

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Those must be some big eggs! When we raised them for eggs they used to average 30oz/doz Large chicken eggs are supposed to average 24oz/doz,~gd

oops. I forgot it is 1 duck egg in place of 2 bantam chicken eggs. Sorry about that.

8. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well central VA can't be that far from central NC If it ever gets to the point that our supply is more than the market can stand and the price of gas goes down...Half your price sounds good to me! ~gd

9. salemskies

salemskies Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    A friend of mine has sold them before to bakeries. She suggested I sell them for around $15 a dozen. I don't know who to contact about it, though. Craigslist isn't the best place because people have to be looking for a specific item. Any idea on how to market these? I'm just kind of saving them at this point because I don't know what to do. They're kind of like the golden egg and they're special so I'd have to make a fancy cake to warrant using them...and I just plain don't have the energy [​IMG]

Since I'm stuck in California at the moment, I might as well take advantage of the high prices people are willing to pay, right? (Dreaming of somewhere green...less taxes...hohum)

10. goosedragon

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Again check your local rules and regulations! Here in NC to sell to stores or resturants your operation would have to be inspected and a permit issued. Comericial food establisments aren't supposed to buy from sources that don't have a permit. Farm or market sales don't require the permit. Here it is handled as a Health issue not an Ag issue and the permits are through Health inspections. ~gd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by