How much do you charge?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by PotterWatch, Nov 12, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you sell dressed turkeys, how much do you charge? We raised only five this year and are selling four of them but I have no clue what to charge as we haven't kept track of our feed costs (initially, I bought them all to keep but my husband slowly sold them out from under me [​IMG] ). They haven't been pastured and they have had organic food only part of the time. They are heirloom breeds. I know prices vary in different parts of the country, but I'm just hoping to get some idea. The only place near here that sells heirloom turkeys is uber-expensive but they also free-range and feed a soy, corn, and GMO free feed so it doesn't really compare to mine.

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Mine are all organic and free range and all that good stuff, I think I figured my costs to be somewhere around 5-6 dollars per pound, but am selling them for $4 per pound with processing included. I have sold two so far at that price, one came out to $100 and the other was about $75.

Has definitely been a learning experience for me. We definitely did NOT make money... Turkeys eat A LOT! [​IMG]

I would think just a normal non organic you could get $2 per pound. [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Next year I am thinking of raising around 25 or 30 but actually keeping track of feed costs. We constantly have people asking us for turkeys, even had one guy from the San Diego area ask if he could get around 100 from us! [​IMG] I don't want to raise that many, but we have enough land so that I hope they will forage a good deal and keep our feed costs a little lower. Maybe I'll get more like 15 or 20 instead...

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    [​IMG]

Yay! I love Turkeys.

We will be breeding a heritage breed this next year too. We should have extra to sell too.

I have 15 poults on order and I am excited to get them! [​IMG]

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Be sure to check the laws for selling a processed turkey. I think sombody can buy a live turkey from you and then you can clean it for them. I think selling a processed bird requires you having and following the USDA guidelines and in a USDA inspected facillity. Also I think the bird has to be USDA inspected. Not 100% sure about all this but best to check. I don't want anybody getting in trouble.

6. medan

medan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    sell live turkey for the price you want and include free processing if desired

7. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    We just processed 5 heritage, free range, organic feed turkeys. Sold one for 5$lb. Which I think was a steal. Last 3 years we paid 10$lb for the same.

8. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I sell mine off the farm cleaned for $4.50/lb. About $3.00/lb covers purchase price and feed, plus feediong breeders over the winter.

9. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    $3 a pound for your birds is certainly reasonable.

10. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks everyone! I have a much better idea of what to charge now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by