How Much Do You Feed Your Pot Belly Pigs?

drdoolittle

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 30, 2010
NE Indiana
I have 3 PBPs, one i 6 weeks, one 6 mos. and one is 7 1/2 mos. How much should I feed them? Different sites say different things. One says feed free-choice until about a year, while another says 2 cups ----per day? per feeding? and the people I got the 7 1/2 mos. old from said 1/2 cup of feed twice a day. I have been feeding the baby as much as he wants, and the girls about 1-2 cups twice a day each.

It's hard for me to do pics as I have dial-up. I have to go to my Hubby's office and use his computer to put them on------I'll try to get him to do it, but he's really busy right now.

tongue.png
big_smile.png
Dare you say!! PIG PICS!!
Heres Luna she is 8 weeks old!
lunasayshi.jpg

lunasupper2.jpg

Lunasbow3.jpg

lunasbottle.jpg

Lunasbow12.jpg

lunasbow3-1.jpg

luna2.jpg

Luna4.jpg

Luna and Tumbler my Fuzzy Lop buck!
lunaandtumbler.jpg

This is Savanna shes 11 weeks old
savanna5.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

Picture034-3.jpg

The 11 week old herd waiting for supper!
piggiesandbucket.jpg

Picture023-3.jpg

lookingoutatdinnertime.jpg

More piggie pics
IMG_8762.jpg

Picture107-1.jpg

This is my sow Millie in labor with 8 babies (notice her biting her shelter!) beside a giant buff cochin hen that is laying on a nest for size comparison when the cochins are standing beside them they are taller then these piggies
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Leeannakay/?action=view&current=Picture057-1.mp4

My boar little man begging for a scratch
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Leeannakay/?action=view&current=MVI_8328.mp4
Picture194-2.jpg

LOL here he is with some more giant cochins
piccys020.jpg

piccys019.jpg

As a baby!
chicpics033.jpg

I have a 3 y/o PBP
smile.png
Paisley. I agree websites are very confusing! I give her about 2 1/2 - 3 cups a day of pellets. She also gets bread, veggies and some fruit scraps from the kitchen. The best advice I recived was that you should be able to feel their hip bones ( not protruding ) but you should be able to feel them rounded. If you cant see where their hips are supposed to be then your feeding too much.

I have a coffee can (the red ones name brand coffee but can't remember the name) and my adults get half of it. Of course mine are currently nursing pigs/in pig or my boar is breeding and it takes a little more feed for active pigs I suggest you feed no more then a half a coffee can a day also feed according to AGE and activity and weight. My weaned baby pigs only get 1 cup of feed TWICE a day. Adults only get fed once but have fruits and veggies alot several times a day in small amounts such as watermellon and apples and broccoli strawberries and more but I have a constat supplier of fruits and veggies which most people wouldn't. Make sure they are wormed often I use Wazine same as the chickens. The skin on your pigs should be tight not flabby and there should be no bones showing ribs or hip bones.

BTW although I have never measured it for sure I think a half of my coffee can would be as CranberryCreekFarms said about 3 cups.

The feeding instructions should be on the bag. Most say 1 cup a day for adults. I feed my adults 1 cup 2xs a day.
My pigs graze on and off all day. During the summer they probably don't even need the pellets, but I can't convince them of that...lol. Plus they get hay.
I give mine veggies for snacks. Since yours are young this would be a good time to introduce them to veggies. I have an older pig that won't eat veggies but loves fruit. He has a sweet tooth...the brat.
Mine know where the apple trees are and race each other to get the fallen apples in the fall. They check the trees all day to see if any more apples fell...lol.
I love the pics of the babies. So cute!

we fed out PBP til his belly looked full twice a day when he was growing. plus we weighed him all the time to make sure he wasnt loosing or gaining too much. now that hes almost two we feed him once a day with snacks in the evening.
I would focus on weighing the piggie til hes too big and you cant pick him up instead of trying to measure out food. there is so many variables when feeding by a standard- example your pig might be lazy whereas mine runs around all day > both pigs will require diffrent amounts to sustain a healthy weight. also your pig might have access to acorns , ground nuts , berrys etc whereas mine does not> again both pigs will require diffrent amounts of food .
PIglets are soo fun- enjoy them while you can hold them in your arms
smile.png

This is a pic of Percy in his pen ( in the wooded area exploring)
84541_may232011_010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom