How much do you feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Dec 20, 2009.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I have 9 full sized chickens (11 months old), 5 ducks-around 8lbs each (10months old), three one year old peafowl. How much feed should they be getting in pounds, a day, please? I'm having a discussion with DH about it [​IMG]

2. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    We always just try to keep their feeder full. It's seems to work. That is what my neighbors do too.

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I dunno -- I have read in the experts' books that you should give them as much as they can clean up in 15 minutes, twice a day, once they are grown. Babies should have food in front of them all the time.

4. hankus

hankus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Mine have a feeder available all day. I jus keep it full.

5. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Okay, let me change that question to, I feed them 25lbs a day and they eat it all. Is that normal?

6. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I have 11 hens and keep their feeders full, but top it off with about 4 lbs every day. So I'll say they eat about 4 lbs a day. The also get table scraps, and if we didn't have 14" of snow they'd be free-ranging part of the day. [​IMG]

7. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    I have a built in wall feeder that holds about 100# of laying mash and they have access to that 24-7 plus i give them treats and scratch every morning and fresh water. I have 9 BO's and get 9 eggs a day.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have 45 birds including 1 big fat duck and I go through 65-75 lbs a week. Plus many treats-warm mash and warm breakfasts every morning and anything we dont eat-no one in my family eats leftovers!! [​IMG] In the summer I went through exactly 50#s a week--I miss free ranging-hate winter-but Im getting alot more eggs now [​IMG]

9. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    I fill up the feeder with about 1 lb of feeds a day. Fill the feeder just before sunset when there is still daylight. They will eat some before they roost. They will eat again at day break before letting them out to free range during the day. I keep the coop's door open so they still can access the feeder. When they are out free ranging they barely go back to the coop and eat. I have 11- 18 weeks old in the flock and they consume roughly about 50 lbs of feed a month.

10. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    farmin'chick :

I dunno -- I have read in the experts' books that you should give them as much as they can clean up in 15 minutes, twice a day, once they are grown. Babies should have food in front of them all the time.

That 15min rule is for ducks.

Chickens should have free choice (keep the feeder full). Any chance wild birds or mice are getting to the feed? I have 10 times the brids you have and I don't think I go through much more than 50lbs, but ALL of mine free range ALL day.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by