How much do you pay for horse boarding (or charge?)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by fullhouse, Aug 7, 2008.

1. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I rode until we had kids. Took a 10 year break from horses to be mom and be pregnant. I always told myself when I found a good horse I would go back. I might have found a horse.

I have a great place to board, but it seems very expensive. How much do you pay for stall or pasture board? The horse is pastured full time now.

2. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't board mine but I know the barn down the road from me charges $250 month for full board, and that includes everything...stall, pasture, etc

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:It varies SO much from place to place (regionally, and depending on how horsey/affluent the area.

Some places, $250/month gets you the (relatively speaking) fanciest place around; other places, good luck *finding* anything much less than $450/month and you probably wouldn't want to actually keep your horse there.

It pays to look around. Unfortunately IME it is *so* hard to find a GOOD QUALITY boarding barn (ie. safe, sensibly-run, non-catty atmosphere, and large amounts of turnout in big green paddocks/fields) that I don't know as I've ever had the option of choosing based on price [​IMG]

(E.t.a. - in southern OH and W NY state, the closest I've lived to Michigan, you'd expect to be paying at least $300/mo for full board at a decent barn, probably more like $400-450 if you want an indoor (or even a *good* outdoor ring or extensive trail access). That's full board w/turnout. Remember there will be farrier and vet expenses on top.

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    When I was boarding my horse in San Diego - prices ranged from $200-$400 a month.

I managed to get my horse a nice FANCY stall/barn area, at a lower rate $250 per month when I let the owner use my horse for lessons during the week. I could only ride on weekends as I worked full time in an office.

5. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Up here its generally anywhere from $300 - $700 and then theres show barns that cost like $2,000 a month.

6. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    It's $450 per month. No doubt safe. It's a commity owned centenial farm with full training available, indoor arena, several rotated pastures, and the animal shelter /community center on site (with safe playgound for kids). It's about 2 miles from me. The old barn is gorgeous. [​IMG]

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I pay $225/mo for pasture board. Most places with an indoor arena will be at least that. In your area, it may be closer to $300 because of higher property taxes.

Michigan boarding, as long as you aren't at a huge show barn, usually ranges from $150-400 depending on amenities. We're lucky in this state because we rarely have hay shortages.

As long as your horse has shelter, it should be fine. My two have been on full time pasture for a long time and they cope with NE Michigan winters just fine.

What kind of horse are you looking at? You're in Grosse Ile, right? Do Luton Performance Horses still have a stable there?

$450 is a little on the high side even for all the amenities you describe.

8. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    In my Area, it varies from $100 to $550+.

$100 for pasture board where you feed your own horse.

$550+ for twice daily feeding, turned out to pasture, stall picked for you. There is also access to a jumping ring as well as a dressage ring and trainers. You can also arrange for the horse to be ridden for you. [​IMG]

9. fullhouse

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:Yep, GI! Luton manages the stable, but it's township owned.

I am looking at a draft/tb cross. Green broke, about 10, gelding, 16.3. Owners bought him to ride and never did. Looks good. Green broke is OK with me since I rode quite a few brood mares that hardly saw a bit. I rode western pleasure as a kid, dressage and hunter-jumper as a teen/adult. I really just want a big, sweet horse that I can ride bareback with a halter and lead rope. Sounds dorky doesn't it? [​IMG]

10. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    My boy is stabled at a relatively nice eventing barn and I pay $325 per month for a paddock with a shelter, I think its $400 for a 12 x 12 stall with a paddock, and he gets turned out in a grass pasture(well...used to be grass before the California drought XD) for a few hours a day, the price also includes stall cleaning, blanketing, graining, etc. The facility has a nice indoor arena, an all weather outdoor arena, a round pen, a cross-country course, a galloping track, and a vineyard to ride in. I love my barn lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by