1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do you pay for your baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HellaHomestead, Mar 23, 2017.

1. HellaHomestead

HellaHomestead New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Hi, I am looking to purchase baby chicks from a breeder on Craigslist. Breeder states that they strive for the Standard of Perfection in their breeds and in egg color. I am looking to purchase a Black Copper Maran and a Cream Legbar for their gorgeous egg color? Are these prices reasonable? I certainly don't want to tell anyone what they can or cannot charge, I just wonder what I should expect to pay for this breed of bird. Seller says she is selling chicks only at the moment.

Thank You for your help :)

olive egger pullets:$25 each
    -black copper marans :$13 each
    -blue copper and splash marans $13 each

2. emmiesues

emmiesues Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    I just purchased 10 BCM from a reputable breeder near my house, She only has BCM, the roosters and hens were beautiful! She asked $15 for each, I offered her 60 for $10 and she accepted if i agreed to give her any "show quality rooster". LOL So I would say $13 is reasonable. $25 for olive egg pullets seems very high to me! I've seen some on craigslist anywhere from $5-$15.

3. HellaHomestead

HellaHomestead New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Thank You very much for the info. I just wasn't sure and it seems that there's a huge range of prices on Craigslist in my area these days for chicks and pullets. I've also gone to pick up "pullets" before, not knowing that the sellers were using it as an all- encompassing term for the first year of life. The "pullets" were 1 day old.

4. emmiesues

emmiesues Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    No problem. And that is awful! I had a terrible time finding the marans. I wanted chicks personally (I may be crazy). I would offer something much lower than asking, and see what she says. I cant imagine its easy to sell them. Worst she can say is no!

5. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    I don't know where you guys are located, but odds are you could find a member near you that could point you in the direction of a breeder. You may try looking on your state thread by doing a search in the where am I where are you section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by