How much do you pay to get chickens butchered?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by brooster, Jul 9, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Songster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I found a super great deal [​IMG] My friend found somebody that will dress poultry for 1 dollar a bird. What is everyone else paying? Or do you do it yourself?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The only place I could find near me charges $3 per bird. They butcher, bag and flash freeze for that price.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  3. mommahento5

mommahento5 Songster

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    We are taking our cornish x's to a place in south-west Ohio. They charge $2 a bird to do everything involved to hand it back to you fresh, USDA inspected, and ready to age in the fridge. I am quite certain I could buy store-bought chicken much cheaper, but who knows what they put in those birds! One dollar a bird sounds like a super deal!

4. SJM

SJM In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    We do it by ourselves here. We found some really good info sites and it was easier than you'd think!

5. alaskanhenhouse

alaskanhenhouse Songster

Mar 3, 2007
    Wasilla Alaska
    i do it myself also and have been considering doing it for others for a small fee. I would like to hear more about how much folks are willing to pay for the job. was thinking about 2-3 dollars each also. but what about other poultry like turkeys, ducks and geese?
    much easier doing someone elses birds that you haven't been doeting on for months.[​IMG]

6. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Geese cost me $10 each to get processed. Chickens are $3 if they're under 5 lbs... then it's $4 from 5-8 lbs, and $5 each for over 8 lbs. I raise mostly roasters, so $5 is what I'm used to.

It blows me away the people in the midwest can get it done so cheaply. There simply aren't any other options for me within a 5 hour drive.. and I only get them bagged and chilled for that price, not even frozen.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I do it myself. It really isn't that bad. Saves lots of money.

8. I do them mostly myself but this year I'm taking a large batch in as I have agreed to raise for others, and it totals 300 birds. Not doing that myself!

Anyway the price here is $2 a bird if you stay and help out or $2.50 if you don't. Turkeys are $5 helping and $6 if you don't.

For the price of the propane involved and all the water I'd use up I think that is good. I'm on a low volume well so I have to keep that in mind.

9. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I pay for the processing simply because they do a better job than me. If I want to market them as high quality food and charge what they're worth, they can't be looking like they've gone through a blender.

10. Willa Beth

Willa Beth In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2018
    I am trying to find someone in North GA area who will butcher my chickens. I only have about 8 which are ready for the slaughter. Anyone here from Georgia know of a good butcherer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: