How much do you sell braided rag rugs for?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by michickenwrangler, Jan 2, 2010.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I've been making braided rag rugs. First one was a flop (had to work out kinks and rug is cuppy), second was an Xmas present to my brother and sister-in-law. I'm working on a black-and-orange one now, lots of bikers in our area. How much do you should a rug sell for? Granted, our region has the highest regional unemployment in the country (22%), so it would sell for below retail value.

I already had cloth and thread. It will be approx. 3' x 5' when finished. I'm about 1/4 done and have put in about 5 hours so far.

What do you think would be a fair price for it?

Thanks

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I want to see a picture! Would it be washable?

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    yes pictures please.... and would you do custom sizes.. i need 2 good washable rigs for infront of my doors

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I want a white/multicolor mix for my bathroom. Do you have pictures?

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    How did you learn how to make them? Maybe you could teach me.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I found out how to make them from a combination of an article in Mary Jane's Farms and a description from The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House series). They take a long time to make. It took 3 weeks of an hour or two of work a day to make my brother's 30" x 20" rug. He and his wife went to Michigan State so their rug was green and white. Their wedding colors were green and brown so there was some brown in the last few rows. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Basically you cut clothes in strips first (2"-3" wide). The article said to use wool but I can't find any wool clothes at the local thrift stores so I use t-shirts. They won't last as long as wool though. Cut ends of strips on angles and sew together. Then baste the strips. Do in in 3'-5' lengths. Much longer than that and they get tangled up when you braid. Sew together at the ends, begin braiding and sew on when needed.

The you need heavy-duty thread to sew it together in a spiral which is kind of hard to describe in writing. Get a yarn-darner or other blunt

Again, I'll do pics tomorrow.

The "Harley" one will have a black center, several rows of black-and-orange braided together, more solid black, black-and-orange, then more black. Black and orange, even with a 2-1 ratio was just too much orange.

I've been trying to come up with other color schemes. I live in a cabin so everything in our house is the golden color of polyurethane on wood and I forget that people have paaint and wall paper to coordinate with. What are some good color combos to do?

8. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    My wife and I have been discussing this for the 2 years that we've been married. Her mom has like 50 of em sitting in her house that shes been going to "sell" some day some how sitting in her back bedroom. I want to sell em at poultry swaps but we always foget to bring them to our house from her mom's. Neither of us have ever seen the home made style for sale anywhere. Those ones on bizrate are way different than her moms homemade ones. I think her mom put $35 on hers but she has never attempted anything to sell them. Just put pricetags on and hid them in her closet.

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    [​IMG] pictures please.

10. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    [​IMG] Awaiting pics. Pleeeese?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by