How much do you sell you hens for?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Florida chick, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    How much do you sell young laying pullets for? Under a year old. Purebred nice SQ standard size, COchins, Buff Orps, Black Australorps? I can't keep enough for sale. Someone emailed saying they needed some and would pay TOP dollar. WELL their top dollar was $10 each:lol: They sell for $35 and up around here. Are people confused? Do they not realize the cost of feed? Do people seriously think an 6-8 month old purebred layer is $10? Or is it in your part of the country?? I am in FL

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    There was an ad in our paper just this week for 3month-1year old layers. They were asking $3.50/bird. Its probably your area. No one here would pay more than $10/bird and that is probably pushing it.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    If she is laying I say $15 tops for the food and care they had. A lady paid me $20 for 3- 1 month old hens. I guess it depends on your country

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Here in Northern IN, I see ads for $4. Personnally I'd never sell one for less than $5, if purebred, $10. If more than $10 it had better be special.

Maybe we need to buy them up north and bring them south for $25/hen difference, it would pay for a lot of gas......LOL

5. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Holy CROW! I guess its just my area. WEIRD! I am in a farming area. Not high income at all. How much is a 50 lb bag of FLockraiser? Here its $14 How do you guys afford to feed and grow out and make any $?

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    for start and grow its $10 without tax. Layer is alot more. My mom bought layer and start and grow and the total was over $34

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    There was a guy here in my area that had 8 barred rock hens 1 yr old, laying and 2 production reds also 1 and laying for $8 each. I jumped on it, but of course, too late. He said he would raise anything I wanted and sell them to me for $7-8 each. You can't beat that.

8. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Here it's anything from free to about $7 a hen/pullet. The local feed store ( family run ) sells laying pullets for $6.50 each. They are all purebred.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    There is a big difference in what people get for Show Quality birds and just layers. Around here layers go for $10 or less. Show birds can be $30+. Also depends on where I sell. If I go to a show I can get alot more for my birds from people that understand the time, effort, and money that goes into show quality.

Layer = $10.50+tax for 50lb

Matt
    Morganton, NC

10. mergmet

mergmet Chillin' With My Peeps

Same here Matt

I get $3 for mixed breed brown egg layers 2-4 months
    I get $7 for purebred layers 12-16 weeks - not SQ
    I get $12 each for 6 week old marans- purebred and $5 for day old chicks.

I do try to keep some inexpensive layers available for local folks who want layers, don't care about the breed, and don't think a chicken should be expensive.

many folks don't bat an eye about these prices, others gasp.

I have paid a good bit more for SQ birds, and hope to have some to sell later in the year!

It all depends on who is buying, what they want, and what they know.

Margaret

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by