How much do you sell your eggs for?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KWAK, Dec 26, 2011.

1. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Usually I just give my eggs away, but now that I have 15 hens and 2 ducks laying and I will be getting 2 more female pekins that are laying eveery day (and 42 eggs in the incubator [​IMG] ) I decided to start selling them to help my mom and dad pay for all my animal feed.

ps. I have been selling them for $1 p.d. but every one that has boght them from me says that doesnt seem like a fair price and give me more!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At the store today, I noticed plain, old, white store eggs were $1.99. I was frankly surprised. No doubt your family, friends, and neighbors would gladly pay $2.50 a dozen. Why not? Feed is quite expensive. Why sell your eggs for less than the store?

3. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Fred's Hens :

At the store today, I noticed plain, old, white store eggs were $1.99. I was frankly surprised. No doubt your family, friends, and neighbors would gladly pay $2.50 a dozen. Why not? Feed is quite expensive. Why sell your eggs for less than the store?

Thanks:) My neighbors say they would rather have my eggs because they are better than store eggs.​

4. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    I sell chicken eggs for $4 per dozen and I havent gotten any duck eggs yet but I know they'll be laying soon. I'll decide on the duck eggs once I have enough for me.

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Around here lots of people raise chickens, and the asking price is $2/per dozen. A few of my costumers volunteer to pay more, and bring their own egg cartons. At 2 bucks/dozen my egg money is paying for chicken and rabbit feed, plus we have fresh eggs to use. Last time I checked store prices, white eggs were $1.92.

6. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    $3 per dozen in Central Virginia, although some sell for as much as $5 per dozen.

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    You can always check your local CraigsList ads to see what the competitive rates are! Some areas command a higher price than others, but $1/doz is CHEAP and you most definitely need to up your price. If you're feeding them regular feed, then I agree on the $2.50 per dozen price. However, if you feed your hens organically, then the price needs to reflect that by as much as another dollar or two since organic feed is more expensive.

Many people prefer locally fresh-from-the-farm laid eggs over store bought. Those who don't? Well, they've probably never had them before and are afraid to give them a chance!

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Quote:What are you feeding them?

9. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I sell mine for $2.00 a dozen to off set feed costs. I have had some people insist on paying more.

10. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Farm fresh eggs at the farmers' market here sell for $4 per dozen. At the grocery store, white eggs are $2ish. I only have 7 hens laying, and so far I've given away most of the excess eggs. I have 16 more chickens that will be laying over the next couple months. So I will be more serious about selling them when I start getting more eggs each day.

My husband and I have decided, though, that any money we make selling eggs will go to childhood cancer research in honor of our granddaughter. So we will have a donation box or envelope - and people will just donate whatever they want for the eggs. We will keep track of the money, of course, but we won't keep track of what each person pays for the eggs. Then we will give all the money to our granddaughter's research endowment at our local children's hospital. I hope it will add up over the years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by