1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How much do you usually pay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ace_king_brahma, May 27, 2008.

1. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Songster

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Well the worm farm is coming along very nicely! And I have a few hundred pinhead crickets. I'm curious as to how much people pay for their pet treats. I plan to sale my worms and crickets and trying to come up with a fair price.

I was paying:

in San Antonio:

50 count regular mealworms- $2.99
    small crickets- $0.12 each
    large crickets- $0.24 each

here in Castroville:

36 count mealworms- $3.79

I'm thinking maybe selling my worms at 50 counts. I can get bait cups cheap and the worms are inexpensive to grow so the high prices for them seem unfair to me. Though I do admit shipping is getting more and more expensive.

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Songster

Apr 14, 2007
    Will you be selling wholesale or retail?? It will make a huge difference, in your prices...

3. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Songster

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    retail at first but if things keep up the way they are going I will be able to eventually sell in bulk. I already have a few people interested who stop at my shop. And a few friends who want to buy a few when they go fishing.

4. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Songster

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    10c for large
    6c for small (from pet supply store)

5. Quote:For my reptiles....

I pay $17 shipped for 1,000 crickets
    $22 shipped for 1,000 superworms

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Here in VA I am paying $3.00 for 30 meal worms. [​IMG]

7. lengel

lengel Songster

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I've paid up to $5.00 for 24 large crickets in a self-sustaining environment (those plastic boxes with a piece of egg crate and some of that green stuff that they can eat). That way, I don't have to feed my bearded dragon as soon as I get home.

A la carte, I pay 10 cents each.

8. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Songster

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Okay I feel a little better seeing I'm not the only one who is charged too much for these critters. I remember in the late 90's I was buying crickets at the large size for: ten to nine cents each and three to four cents for smalls. And $1.99 for 50 count of mealworms of the regular size. Now ten years later I'm paying twice that. When I started raising the worms and crickets I figured they would be expensive to rear but they are really cheap!

$17 for a 1,000? Now that is a deal!

Considering things do you all think $2 for a 50 count of regular sized mealworms would be a fair price?

I'm thinking five cents for large crickets and three for small ones. Hoping to start selling at my shop in the next month or two.

9. Well, I spoke too soon. Their prices are now $19.95 for 1,000, shipped. Which still isn't too bad. [​IMG]

10. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Songster

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    That really is still a good deal. That is roughly 2 cents a cricket. I already have potential buyers since my customers are tired of travelling 15 miles to pay a quarter a cricket. I would love to eventaully sell them in bulk at that kind of price.

Thanks for the help to those who replied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: