How much do you usually pay?

Ace_king_brahma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Castroville, Texas
Well the worm farm is coming along very nicely! And I have a few hundred pinhead crickets. I'm curious as to how much people pay for their pet treats. I plan to sale my worms and crickets and trying to come up with a fair price.

I was paying:

in San Antonio:

50 count regular mealworms- $2.99
small crickets- $0.12 each
large crickets- $0.24 each

here in Castroville:

36 count mealworms- $3.79

I'm thinking maybe selling my worms at 50 counts. I can get bait cups cheap and the worms are inexpensive to grow so the high prices for them seem unfair to me. Though I do admit shipping is getting more and more expensive.

retail at first but if things keep up the way they are going I will be able to eventually sell in bulk. I already have a few people interested who stop at my shop. And a few friends who want to buy a few when they go fishing.

Here in VA I am paying $3.00 for 30 meal worms.
hmm.png

I've paid up to $5.00 for 24 large crickets in a self-sustaining environment (those plastic boxes with a piece of egg crate and some of that green stuff that they can eat). That way, I don't have to feed my bearded dragon as soon as I get home.

A la carte, I pay 10 cents each.

Okay I feel a little better seeing I'm not the only one who is charged too much for these critters. I remember in the late 90's I was buying crickets at the large size for: ten to nine cents each and three to four cents for smalls. And $1.99 for 50 count of mealworms of the regular size. Now ten years later I'm paying twice that. When I started raising the worms and crickets I figured they would be expensive to rear but they are really cheap!

$17 for a 1,000? Now that is a deal!

Considering things do you all think $2 for a 50 count of regular sized mealworms would be a fair price?

I'm thinking five cents for large crickets and three for small ones. Hoping to start selling at my shop in the next month or two.

That really is still a good deal. That is roughly 2 cents a cricket. I already have potential buyers since my customers are tired of travelling 15 miles to pay a quarter a cricket. I would love to eventaully sell them in bulk at that kind of price.

Thanks for the help to those who replied.

Back
Top Bottom