How Much Does a Chick eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sierranomad, Feb 23, 2015.

1. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Getting my first chicks within the next week or so (5 Australorps). Went to the Feed Store to get some food in preparation. I took 10 lbs to the counter and asked how long that would last 5 chicks. The lady told me about 4 days! That shocked me, as they are such small cirtters. Just wondering whether she knew what she was talking about?

2. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Should last a bit longer than that but it certainly won't last for as long as they are on starter, I got mine at 4 weeks old, got the biggest bag I could and needed to get more before they moved up to grower

3. LeanneP

LeanneP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Kenansville, NC
    My 8 month olds eat about a pound per week each, give or take. They also get free range time and greens, etc.

Chicks tend to waste more than they eat!

It would be a wise investment to just buy the 50 pound bag and the steel can now. It'll last you a good long while and cost you roughly the same or a little less than what you are paying for those small bags.

4. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    O.K., thanks. I bought a small bag because I read that feed can lose its nutrients if stored for a couple of months. Looks like I dont have to worry about that.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Each chick will eat about 10# in the first 10 weeks. After that they will eat up to 2# a week.

6. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    That is great advice right there.

We bought a 25lb bag for our 7 chicks and after 5 weeks it is just about gone. We are lucky in that our chicks free range every day so they aren't eating just the medicated starter. They also eat some of the layer pellets from the big birds feeder but you really can't stop that. Now that we have another pile of chicks on the way (oh did I forget to mention we dropped 15 more in the incubator even after we decided not to do so?) I'm really wishing we'd have bought the 50lb bag and a secure container to keep the squirrels and other critters out of it.

7. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA

Thanks, that is good to know. So the 10 lb bag ought to last the 5 chicks roughly 2 weeks, not the 4 days the counter lady said. That will help me have a better idea of how much feed to get each time form here on. Thanks agian.....................

8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    The 10# bag should last 3-4 weeks for freshly hatched chicks. It will last a week at 12 weeks.

9. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    O.K., thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by