How much does egglaying decrease in the winter???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ronshoney, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    I have 34 hens of various large breeds that are all supposed to be cold weather hardy as I looked for that with where we live. They were all born between may and june and I was getting about 20 eggs a day before all of this lovely weather hit and a few days we only got 2 eggs and now it's been 7-15 lately. Is this normal? They are all free range from day break till sunset and no we don't have a light yet but my oldest son did dig a trench and run the wire out there before the ground froze so now I just have to get DH to go out there and put a light in. We have a clamp light on a tree that shines on the door and the front of the coop with a extension cord running from our garage but that was because we have a horrible racoon problem so I would sit out there at night when it was still warm with the shotgun and wait for them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hi there!
    Completely normal. I added a few hours of light on a timer in the morning, and it helped dramatically!!
    Happy Friday,
    Dana

3. dedern

dedern Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    newtown,ct
    Will it harm the girls if you stick to mother nature with the lighting. I have 2 EE, 1 BO, 1BA, 2GLW and 1 Wellie. Only the BA lays on a daily basis now. The EE stopped 2 months ago. All are healthy with nice red to wattles and combs. Getting organic layer feed. Free ranging when possible and ACV in their H2o.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    No harm done if you don't use supplemented lighting...the shorter days actually give your hens a break from laying in the winter.

Dawn

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    If you lived closer to OK I have some buddies that could solve your coon problem. We chase them with hounds...it is so much fun!

6. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Quote:That does sound like fun.... they are everywhere and they come in groups. I am considering getting a outside dog this spring to help with some of the predators...... don't know if it will do much against the great horned owls or the hawks but it should help with the coyotes, coons, and fox.

7. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    It's actually good for them to take the "break". It lengthens their laying life-cycle.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    You mentioned that they free range all day. They could be laying somewhere else. Mine will lay in the coop and sometimes make their own nest outside somewhere. When I find their nest with 6-12 eggs, they move to another hiding spot! Darn chickens![​IMG]

9. dedern

dedern Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2008
    newtown,ct
    I dont think they are laying anywhere else. They are out for 3 hrs, if the weather is acceptable. Here in CT that hasn't been on a daily basis. No matter where she is Hot Wings runs to her nesting box and lets you know she is up to doing her deed. I am ok as long as I know They wont have any health issues. I preferr to give them a rest.

10. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I have 4 hens and I'm down to one egg a day if I'm lucky from 3 or 4 a day its normal. its winter vacation for them. Just a few months retreat to recharge the egg machine battery. then they will be going again soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by