How much does humidity rise when they start hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm wondering how much the humidity will rise once they start hatching? Should I aim for about 60% for lockdown, then it can rise to say 65% when they start hatching?

I don't want to set it too high and have problems when I can't open the bator.

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I lockdown with the humidity at 60%. My humidity usually rises to about 70% at the most. My last hatch I had the first 10 chicks out of 22 that decided to zip at the same time. My humidity shot up to 88%, and the door and walls started condensing. I opened the vents a little more, and quickly burped the door. The humidity eased back down to about 70%. When all was said and done all 22 chicks hatched. This was in a wine chiller converted incubator.

Marty

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine 70% and when a chick hatches, wew, humidity rise so high. [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Okay, I'll aim for 60% then to start.

Should I open 1 plug, or both?

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

plug? did you mean vents?

i don't know what kind of bator, but since mine is homemade and i have tooooo much power failure, i even open the whole bator, can't help it, i need to use kerosene lamp and make sure the flame didn't fire my polystyrene and the babies have oxygen enough.

but, from many answer i've read, they usually open all plug to make sure oxygen is enough for babies since hatching time is always filled with hot air inside bator. [​IMG] then, open all those plug.

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, there are plugs in 2 vents.

7. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    My humidity shot up ridiculously high when I had hatch. The chicks weren't drying out and I had to prop open the bator. There was condensation everywhere.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think it depends on how many are hatching. I rarely notice the humidity changing, unless the hatch is really big.

You should open both the plugs, so they can get as much fresh air as possible. This will affect your humidity as well, I've just gotten to where I never have the plugs in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by