how much does it cost to build a chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kardar2, Jan 9, 2014.

1. kardar2

kardar2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Jones valley area
    Well I got $300 in to mine. LOL.I built A 4'X 6' SO I could have up to 6 chickens. Well I am a woodworker and love to make stuff out of wood. Hopefully I will get done in the next couple of weeks.:)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I would figure at least $300 to have something worth having. If you can score pallets and such, the more the better. The hardware and metal fabric are the most expensive parts.

Chris

3. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    I'm building my first and I'm newbie in woodwork. I already spent $150ish in material:
    -plywood $30
    -wood $40
    -hardware cloth $40
    -screws $15
    -staples $3
    -sand $6 (may need more)
    -water sealant $15
    -etc (hinges, bricks) $8
    -others (may need to buy tin snips and more bricks and lock/bolts)

Not including tax.
    Not including nails and a wooden crib which I used.

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    well we went a little overboard..I had an existing 12 x 18 + barn which we renovated part of the inside for the chickens. added a huge run (12x 20+) with a roof, so I'd say a more than a thousand bucks.

My then barn got demolished in storm sandy, was able to salvage a portion to get the chickens thru the winter. Luckily my insurance paid 6 grand to replace all we lost there, so we rebuilt this summer ..It was a real pain to do, but I modified alot of things, gave the chickens more inside room. and ended up with this.. Probably out of the insurance money we used a good 4 grand to rebuild ..

[​IMG]

While we were renovating, the chickens had a temp home, that cost very very little, maybe 100 bucks > which I put inside their run they didn't like it much it was to small for one, but luckily they only had to tolerate it for a couple months
    [​IMG]

^^ Prior to enclosing it

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    $800 for coop and run, all new materials in an existing building.

6. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    £60, all the wood for doors, wals, floor etc is salvaged from pallets, found a small window for free, floor from remaining flooring we had left over, i only paid for the corrugated plastic roofing and some small bits and bobs.

7. wholehearted

wholehearted Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't know because I gave up counting at some point! Our first coop ended up costing way more than we planned, but it was beautiful and big and I wanted everything to be exactly perfect! This time we are going the more practical frugal route and I will be keeping better track. I have seen coops all the way from free (using a lot of recycled materials) to thousands...but some of the higher-priced ones were more like barns than coops.

8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

This coop came into my hands after it blew out of a neigbours yard after a wind storm.
    A chicken coop can be built on any budget. It all depends on:
    How resource full you are?
    How big you want to make it?
    What sort of carpentry skill you have?
    How bad you want it.
    How much material you have already at hand?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Mine will be 958$ for the kit, 300$ more for hardware, shingles, paint.... and maybe 400-500$ for the fencing and gate. I'll shop mostly at Home Depot and Lowes and we should be able to get a 10% military discount.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by