How much faster do turkey poults grow than baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Mmmaddie13, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm quite interested in getting a pair or two of Royal Palm turkey poults this spring. I would keep them in the same pen as my Peafowl are in now (30'x40' outdoor pen connected to an 8'x16' "coop"), because they're about the same size as it is and I believe I've heard they get along. So how much faster do turkeys grow than chicks? I may end up getting some baby chicks this spring as well, and would probably end up raising them together in the brooder in the house until they are old enough to be outside.

Thanks!

2. frank53061

frank53061 Chillin' With My Peeps

Poults start out being bigger than Chicks and grow at the rate I noticed about 3 to 4 times faster than the Chicks.
    At adult age prior to the hormone rush for the Turkeys.
    The Chickens had the bluff over the Turkeys even tho the turkeys were 4 times bigger than the chickens and would chase the Turkeys away when treats were thrown out
    But now the Hen Turkeys dont take it from the Chicken Hens any more the roles have reversed but of course the Chickens are faster and can get out of the way of the Turkeys.[​IMG]

3. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    How cute! I just really love the sounds they make. I heard them for the first time in person at the National Western Stock Show this year, and have been reaaaally (even more so than before) wanting them since then. I love the Royal Palms and I found a seller on ebay selling buff royal palm hatching eggs and I think they're the neatest looking birds! So I may try my hand at them! Thanks so much for answering so quickly!

Does it matter what the hen:tom ratio is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by