How much Feather loss is normal?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 6hensJen, May 20, 2017.

1. 6hensJen

6hensJen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi all! These are my first hens, I have six and am noticing they seem to be losing quite a few feathers. You wouldn't know to look at them, they are Just over thirteen weeks old and their feathers look amazing and so soft! They seem really healthy, I'm feeding them an organic complete layer feed with probiotics. They have also have plenty of space and free range much of the day. My worry is that there seem to be quite a few feathers everywhere! Some are the fluffy downy variety but others are full feathers. Am wondering if this is pecking order related? Is any feather loss other than molting normal?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Its Normal to find feathers around the coop and run, or wherever they hang out.

3. 6hensJen

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Whew! Thanks for the quick reply!

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Your chickens look very healthy.

6hensJen likes this.
  5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    They go through mini molts a couple times as they grow. They look ready nice so that is likely what is going on.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They are probably going thru their last juvenile molt.
    If you examine them closely you can probably see new pin feathers emerging.
    Be gentle, those 'pin feathers' are sensitive and can be 'uncomfortable' for the bird to have them touched. They also can break and bleed copiously, they are also called 'blood feathers'.

6hensJen likes this.
  7. 6hensJen

Apr 4, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Whew! Thanks for the quick reply!
    Thanks, I looked at them this morning and they do have those pin feathers especially on their heads. I knew those were new feathers but did not know they were sensitive, that explains why they have all been less cuddly recently! Thanks for the info.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Remember, healthy looks healthy, and those look beautiful! If birds are out scratching around, active and alert, eating and drinking, then 10-1 they are fine. Sick or injured birds look lethargic, move very little, and stay by themselves.

Enjoy that pretty flock!

6hensJen likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by