How much feed do 6 hens eat a day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by linben, Oct 23, 2010.

1. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am wondering how much feed 6 hens usually eat? I don't think my girls are eating enough. I have it available all the time and refresh daily. I have cut back on treats so they will eat the feed because I know they need the balanced nutrition. I just want them to be healthy. Thanks.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Are your chickens confined to a run/coop or do they get any time to be free ranged/pastured? That will greatly affect how much feed they eat.

Normally I'd say 6 hens will eat about a quart of feed a day. . . But that's if they also have a pastured/free range choice on grass/weeds/bugs as well. So, if they're confined, I'd guess they will eat half a gallon or more a day. That's a decent size bucket.

3. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    i think you have the "loving you chickens too much" syndrome. If you free range them they probably get nutrients from bugs and other things. unless they start to lose weight and look sick you got nothing to worry about. Always remember that chickens can survive perfectly with out our help

4. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thank you for the reply. They do free range about 5 hours a day during the week and all day on the weekends. It just makes you think they don't like the feed because they don't gobble it up like other things. They seem healthy and they are laying.

5. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Our 5 eat about 1lb of food a day when in their run when we're at work, but if off we pick them bowls full of dandelion leaves etc (can't free-range co of our dogs), then they eat less...

6. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    our 6...eat about a pound...one coffee can.. and sometimes they doen't finish it due to us and neighbors coming and feeding grass clipping, watermelon, cantalope, toms, what ever is out there....
    My silkies (5) eat the same too.... they don't seem to like the treats as much... Except all love pasta.... and bread for that matter...
    melinda

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If they are heavy breeds the average should be 2 lbs. per day or 1/3 of a pound per chicken. If they are leghorns or lighter breeds, the stated amount is 1/4 lb./bird or 1 1/2 lbs. per day. This is probably an average for confined birds, so if you free range them it will be less.

8. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell you how much per day they eat. I have 6 chickens that are given greens daily in addition to their feed. Their run is bare and I don't think they can find much there. I go through 4 bags of feed every 6 months. They also get BOSS or scratch a couple times a week. They are a rir, slw, glw, buff orpington, and 2 EEs.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by