1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much feed do my birds need?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Burella, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Burella

Burella New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    I have 3 chickens that are nearly 6 months old ( not laying yet). They have a 10x10 foot "caged" area to forge in, but escape daily. I move the tractor about every 2 weeks, but it is just lawn. I have been making (read crazy lady who bakes soy beans) and mixing feed for them, but have not keep track of how much I'm actually feeding them. We through the feed into the cage when we let them girls out every morning. Sometimes they leave some of the feed untouched. Could I be over feeding them? How much feed should I be giving the?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Small flocks should always be free-fed. Only in large flocks, where a lot of waste is common, should feed be metered.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The feed should be in a container that eliminates waste. Throwing feed on the ground wastes a lot.

So you're making your own feed? Do you know if it is nutritionally complete? There isn't much food value in a 10X10 area of lawn.

5. Burella

Burella New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    I am rotating the plots, so uneaten feed sprouts or compost or eat by other animals when the tractor is moved.
    I would like to buy ready mix, but don't know how much to buy. I thought someone here could give me an idea.
    I'm not looking for opinions on how I care for our girls. I'm trying to figure out if I will regret buying the huge bag of feed from the feed store that doesn't cater to backyard Flocks.

6. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    A 10kg bag should last you a couple of weeks or so. Buy the smallest bag to begin with and then see how you get on.

7. Burella

Burella New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    25 Kg is the smallest the feed store here has and they aren't willing to order in anything special for me.

8. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015
    That is still fine - it will be used before its "use by date" and personally, i feel much more at ease giving a proprietary feeding as i am sure that they are getting a fully balanced diet.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can prolong the life of the feed by keeping the bulk of it in a cool dry place. Most manufacturers us stabilized vitamins that they add to the feed which last much longer than unstabilized ones. The minerals won't go bad. The main ingredients like grains and legumes will be the first to degrade but they should still be able to provide adequate nutrition for up to 4 months or so.

As for your original question about how much do they need, this should answer most of your questions.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ASC/ASC191/ASC191.pdf

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by