How much feed do you save by free ranging?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenJill, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ChickenJill

ChickenJill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Has anyone ever compared the amount of feed when chickens are in their pen full time vs. when they free range all day and eat in their pen at night only? Need to convince my wonderful husband that we sholuld let them out more often!

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I use maybe 3/5 of a bag per month with free ranging, but they need a lot out there to eat. I have 13 hens and 1 rooster.[​IMG]

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    oh, I try that tactic every now and again..but honey I am almost out of food [​IMG]
    but I haven't noticed that much of a difference, they still come in and chow down before roosting. Atleast mine do. But it does decrease it a little. I only let mine free range when I can monitor them. Cause around here if they free range when I am not home I save a lot on food when my chickens get eaten.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

About half the feed for me.

5. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    I get free produce from our local coop grocery store, which is "kind of" like free-ranging, except they don't have access to bugs. I find that when we have a good mix of stuff they like a 50# bag of layer crumbles will last about 1 month. I have 16 hens and one roo. Without the produce they eat a little more, but not much more. My neighbor who lets hers free-range all the time says they eat very little grain, and I'm sure that's b/c they have access to more bugs and insects (protein) that way.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My birds stay out about 6 hours a day. I bought a bag of medicated grower feed 3 weeks a go. I still have half of it left. They go to the feeder and eat, but they don't eat nowhere what I had been led to believe they would. My next bag will be lay pellets. I'll see how that goes. OH, I have 7 pullet and one coc.

Yesterday one of my reds found herself a little snake. It was maybe 7 or 8 inches long. After eating that thing I don't know where she put anything else but she kept on scratching and pecking.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Pastured poultry, such as with my operation, will consume five to ten percent of their daily intake from foraging. If I took away all feed during the day, I'm sure the percentage from foraging would go up, but their egg production would suffer. Chickens aren't ruminants, and their digestive system is too short to derive much nutrition from grasses.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by