How much feed does a chick eat??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hamptons06, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    I'm getting 2 or 3 silkie bantam chicks (2-4w old) and am wondering how much feed they eat a day?? I don't know how much starter to buy. 25lbs? 50lbs?

2. klevesque

klevesque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Poland, ME
    Well for comparison, I have 25 chicks and they went thru 50 pounds of starter in 4 weeks.

So I would guess that yours will be good with 25 pounds for even longer than that.

3. MkBorgen

MkBorgen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    I would just go for the 50lb bag. I like to mix the old food with the new so there arent
    any digestive issues when you switch them. Which I haven't figured out if it matters much with chickens but i know all my other animals I definitely notice if you just switch them. Better to have too much then little and pay less.

4. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Go with the smaller bag... bantam chicks don't eat much, and you only have three of them. A 50-lb bag would probably get weavils before you could go through it all.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

5. MkBorgen

MkBorgen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2009
    Ok so ignore my last post! [​IMG] Dumb me was thinking grower not starter. Go with the smaller bag they aren't on starter that long and probably wouldn't eat near that much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by