How much feed for 10 chickens?

petro

Hatching
May 21, 2018
I have 10 adult hens and I am buying 50 lbs of food about every week and a half. The birds have plenty of free space to run.

I have 2 feeders that hold 25lbs each. I am having to refill them about every 8-10 days.

Could something else be eating the chicken food at night?

Or are they just hungry? lol

Thanks for your help.

Terry

That’s way too much feed for 10 chickens In only a week and a half!

Put your feeders away at night in a galvanized metal trash can with a snug lid. Put it back out in the morning.

In a weeks time -maybe less- you’ll know if something else is feasting on your pocketbook at night.

Ps. Leaving feed out at night is an invitation for rats.

Absolutely. When your numbers don't add up, the first thing to consider is that some one else is eating on your dime. I go through 50#/week to feed 27 birds. My feed is 16% layer feed, fermented.

Your conversion rate is .48#/bird/day.

My conversion rate is .26.

Absolutely. When your numbers don't add up, the first thing to consider is that some one else is eating on your dime. I go through 50#/week to feed 27 birds. My feed is 16% layer feed, fermented.

Your conversion rate is .48#/bird/day.

My conversion rate is .26.

How are you distributing or giving them the food?

I have a small urban flock and do everything on a small scale.
My feeder hangs from the center roofing beam inside a covered run. It attaches to a rope with a carabiner.
The girls don’t stay in the run most days. They’re in there for an hour or two in the am til I see they’ve eaten, and then they free range in a 12x90 uncovered run for the rest of the day although I leave the door to the covered run which is attached to their coop open.
At sundown I unhook the feeder and close it up in a trashcan for the night.

I have a small urban flock and do everything on a small scale.
My feeder hangs from the center roofing beam inside a covered run. It attaches to a rope with a carabiner.
The girls don’t stay in the run most days. They’re in there for an hour or two in the am til I see they’ve eaten, and then they free range in a 12x90 uncovered run for the rest of the day although I leave the door to the covered run which is attached to their coop open.
At sundown I unhook the feeder and close it up in a trashcan for the night.

I can see that working. I was hoping for a set it and forget system.

Currently I leave their door to the coop open so they can come and go as they please.

Back
Top Bottom