How much feed is too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jgiajnorio, Apr 4, 2011.

1. jgiajnorio

jgiajnorio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi there,

I am new to this. We have a hobby farm, looking to add some broiler chickens to it. I want to add about 15-20 Cornish White Rocks. A friend of mine up north will turn over btw 200-300 every three months in the summer. He's had some good luck with them, so they come highly recommended. The problem is, being new to this, I feel bad asking him every silly question that pops into my head (it gets hard constantly texting too).

This being said, with 15-20 chickens, how much feed will we need for them. Our feed store has 10lbs bags of starter, but they are switching them to 25kg bags shortly. They also sell 40kg bags of grower and 40kg bags of soya meal (which is what my friend uses successfully, his last batch was btw 10-14lbs at about 12wks).

As we are not currently living at this property, but do go out daily, our horses are down the road, I was hoping to get some large gravity feeders/waters to ensure they always have water and feed. What size feeders would suit this many birds?

Thanks

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I have 2 feeders in my coop for 30 birds. One holds 40 lbs & the other feeder I built holds 100lbs.I never let them run out of food or water. Be sure that your feeders don't get wet because the feed will grow mold on it. If they eat the mold it could possibly kill your birds.

3. jgiajnorio

jgiajnorio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Both those feeds are emptied each day, or do they last a couple?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At their peak they'll eat just over 1/2 pound per bird per day.
    Some people let cornish cross run out of food at night so they don't grow too fast. So I don't freak out if they are without a couple hours.
    Water is a different story. Plenty of CLEAN water 24/7

Try to get the largest bags of feed you can. The smaller ones are much costlier per lb.

I feed my meat birds 24% game bird starter till about 10 weeks and if I haven't butchered by then I switch to 15% finisher.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yes, they last more than a couple of days. I never let them run out of food or water. Heres one feeder I built I got the design off of either here are google can't remember. This one holds roughly 50 lbs. I built another one same design but it holds over 100 lbs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by