How Much Feed Should I Give?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ashleylancaster, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ashleylancaster

ashleylancaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    ALABAMA
    How Much Of The Baby Chick Feed Should I Be Feeding My Baby Chicks? They Are About 3- 4 Weeks Old.

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Just leave it out for them to eat free choice. They'll eat what they need, filling their crops through the course of the day.

Unless they are meat birds? Then I do believe people ration their food to control growth rate, not something I know much about! [​IMG]

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    As a general rule, each chick will eat 10 pounds of starter ration within its first 10 weeks of life. If you fill the feeder in the morning, let the chicks empty it before filling it again. Leaving feeders empty for long invites picking. Don't let dirty of stale feed accumulate either. Clean and scrub feeders at least once a week.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are certainly advantages in making them empty a feeder before refilling, but I doubt many on here do it. When I do it, there is always another feeder with feed available.

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:This is true with our 22 chicks. We go through a 50 lb bag of starter every two weeks. We keep three feeders continuously filled, and have happy chickens.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I too give them as much as they will eat during the early stages, leaving food out for them so it is always available (and putting it away at night). The babies need to eat more frequently than adult birds. The amount they eat grows increasingly the bigger they get. Then later I begin spacing out feedings, preparing them for introduction to the main flock, who get fed twice a day.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    My chicks wont stop eating! as long as they look healthy and lively go by your own judgement

8. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Yes. And basically it's worth remembering that there's no harm in giving chickens, of any age, as much food as they will choose to eat... (Unless they are cornish cross, but those don't count)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by