How much feed should we be going thru?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 4H-Mom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 4H-Mom

4H-Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Rolla, Mo
    We have approximately 2 roosters & 23 hens. When I fill the feeder they scratch it all out in 1 day. So I could feed 40lb or so a day if I am not careful. How much should approximately 25 birds go thru a month? Yes all hens are laying age. Thank you for your help. he feed we buy is ADM Tindle laying crumbles.

2. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I can't believe I know this!!![​IMG]

(0.25lbs/bird/day)(25 adult birds)(30days/month)=187.5 lbs/month

if my calcalation is correct

Glad I could help!

Deb

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

If they are in a coop/run, try adding some cabbage on a string or a suet thingy. If they are bored they will play in the food [​IMG]

4. 4H-Mom

4H-Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    Rolla, Mo
    Thank you. I do have the chickens in a coop along with 4 ducks. Sorry forgot to add them. lol. A few tend to escape during the day but for the most part they are cooped/penned. The pen was originally for dogs but then my daughters chicken project took over. lol. It is about 25 x 40. I will try the cabbage tomorrow. I think I know where I can hang them from. With the ducks I should figure about 4 bags of layer a month. That will add up when the youngsters move to that pen but that will be a while. There are about 15 young chicks for 4H in another pen. Some may leave after 4H fairs are done.

5. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Quote:Ive just hung a lettuce in my coop for them to play with and eat ....They dont even go near it ..If it accidently gets touched and starts to swing they all run off ...Do i just have proper chicken chickens or something lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by