How much feed should youngsters be getting?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countryluvbunny, Apr 5, 2011.

1. countryluvbunny

countryluvbunny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    Suburbs of Pittsburgh,PA
    We used to have 60+ chickens which were free ranged and fed table scraps. I would always throw feed to them a few times a day. Now that we have gotten chicks again, it seems that they will just keep eating. How much is too much or is there a certain amount that they need to have? I just keep refilling their feeder but it seems like they are going through feed fast. We have (10) 4-6 week old chicks and (7) 2 week old bantams. I look forward to when the weather changes and we can let them forage, that will help tremendously. It's funny how chickens can eat more than a large dog [​IMG]

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They are growing, they need food.

Keep them stocked up as they will not overeat. Although, they can eat a lot [​IMG]

3. Invertalon

Invertalon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I wish we could eat like they do! Can eat all day and all look fairly trim [​IMG] must be nice!

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We have 32 standard breed chicks that are 4 weeks old. We've already gone through 50 pounds of starter. I refill the feeders twice each day. And if there is a lot of waste I take the feeders out so they are encouraged to clean up the stuff on the floor before I give them more. I also keep there food and water in a part of the brooder that does not have shavings on the floor. That way the food that is thrown out of the feeder does not end up going out with the dirty shavings when we clean the brooder.

5. countryluvbunny

countryluvbunny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    Suburbs of Pittsburgh,PA
    Thanks guys! I refill the feeders twice a day. I just wondered if they ever get full.

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Think of them as teenage humans, but at least the chicks don't stand in front of the refrigerator with the door open several hours each day! And, just when you think they are eating you out of house and home (the chicks that is!) you will notice a decline in the amount they eat around 16-18 weeks and I find that indicative every year that they will start laying soon.

7. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Do chicks really like that Mash stuff? haha I know its medicated...but there is so much waste.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by