How much feed will cornish x rocks eat before slaughter?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oceanseve, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Just crunching some numbers. We don't have space for free range. Just curious how many lbs I can expect each chicken to go through by 8 weeks.... Thanks for the help!

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Fifteen pounds each is a safe assumtion.

3. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Thanks! My other Q would be what feed do most of you do? I've heard diff opinions from feed stores, starter beginning to end, starter then scratch, starter then game feed.... help?

4. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    We used the Tractor supply brand - high protein

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I use a 23% unmedicated feed the whole time. I have read that many here on the BYC use a higher protein feed, but 23% works good for me. After two weeks old, I feel it's best to feed 12 hours with feed, 12 hours without. If you do this, it will help them from over eating which will decrease unwanted early deaths. A few may die for no apparent reason. This is one of the undesirable traits of the Cornish X. I was told by someone who used to raised 10,000 a year that losing 1 in 12 is typical, which is about what I've expirienced.

Hope this helps.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed 20% protein unmedicated broiler mix. I think anything over 20 is fine. I do 12 on, 12 off. I agree on the death rate bigredfeather mentioned- I've experienced similar.

7. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I can't find a single feed store that has grower/broiler, starter/grower medicated is all I can find.... any recs on where to find it online - cheap?

8. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I also use the Tractor Supply Brand, Dumor. They make a 24% protein I use from start to finish. I also do the 12 on 12 off.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  9. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:Locate a purina dealer--I get mine from purina.

10. Curly Girls

Curly Girls New Egg

Feb 26, 2009
    2lbs of feed per 1lb of weight gain is the ideal feed conversion. We shoot for 6.5-7lbs live weight. That products about a 5.5lb carcus.

Cornish X hens typically gain 2oz a day the first week and then go to 4oz a day for the next few weeks, slowing down at about 8-10 weeks.

Cocks gain a little quicker, and are usually ready at 8-10 weeks, hens at 10-12 weeks. We usually order hens. 12 hours on 12 hours off on feed is a good idea. They grow so fast, it's better for their health.

Any feed over 20% should be fine. However, protein is protein. The more they have, the more they grow.

If you can't find unmedicated feed, find a feed store. TSC isn't much of a feed store. They carry feed, but only what's mainsteam and it usually costs more. Starter was $14 a bag at TSC, 24% from local feed store was $9. Google feed store in your City, try purina's website for dealers. You can also try the yellow pages (online) for feed stores in a city that is not too far, but in the country.

We usually do 100 a year, 50 for us and 50 for friends...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by