How much Feed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Dec 2, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am going to finish out my Cornishes on 12/12 feeding schedule. Does anyone have any ball park estimate of how much feed to provide for 25 of them 4 weeks old to make sure they get the proper amount of feed. How much should I increase when they get to 5 weeks, 6 weeks, ect. I am going to butcher some of the larger ones three weeks from today, and then the balance of them at nine weeks. I am going to finish them out on 18% feed. I had one die yesterday, and I don't want to chance losing anymore. You get more meat from an undersized chicken than a dead one.

Hopefully this will be my last question on these things. I will post pictures, poundage, and photes when they are in my freezer and quart jars. Thanks to everybody that I have bothered with questions. I have learnt a lot in the past 4 weeks on this "type" of chicken, and I hope to get some good meat and do the whole thing again with much more knowledge the next time.

Thanks again!

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You don't need to dole out XYZ ammount of food per week. You simply fill the feeder and keep it filled, then remove it from their presence for the 12 hours off.

You can safely assume that for each pound of live weight the bird gains, it will have eaten 3 lbs of grain. This is a little conservative, but allows for waste. So, if you want 10 lb chickens, yielding 6-7 lb roasters, assume 30 lbs of feed go into that bird.

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Yeah, I guess the answer to that question was pretty obvious. I should have thought about it a liitle more before asking.

Thanks.

4. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
  5. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Helpful link...

But can you explain the last column? (Gain)

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The gain is the FCR. For every X pound of feed, they gain Y pounds of live weight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by