How much feed?

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
I know that I posted about this before. Most answers told me to feed our chickens unlimited feed. I am just wondering if chickens tend to stop eating? I have been feeding about 11-12 cups of food to 13 hens. And they still are willing to eat more. I was wondering if I should allow them or was there a limit to feed? Their sacs became so large that if I massage it (to see how much they consumed), food sometimes comes out from their beaks. I am worried that they may get sour crop if this continues. Is there something I am doing wrong?

What are you feeding? I had 2 birds that would eat that amount. One was a fearful eater (she'd eat as much as possible in case she wasn't allowed to eat the next time by the hens) and one just needed more protein than the layer pellets gave him. When I added protien, the problem went away

What are you feeding? I had 2 birds that would eat that amount. One was a fearful eater (she'd eat as much as possible in case she wasn't allowed to eat the next time by the hens) and one just needed more protein than the layer pellets gave him. When I added protien, the problem went away
I know they are having a protein deficiency, but before I found out, we bought 3 50Ib bags of layer feed with %16 percent, could I supplement with mealworms, and other such? or do I just buy feed with 20% protein? Cause we still have 2 and a half bags.

We used to give 20% but switched to 16% this week

My male I needed to supplement got a mix of mealworms, cat food and anchovies (drained and washed of course) with the layer feed.
Our male still gets 20% feed, but with 13 hens on 16% how many mealworms roughly do they need? about 4% of their food in a day?

Mealworms are very fatty as well. They should have no more than a tablespoon a day I believe
per hen!? I have been feeding around 15-20 mealworms to our 10 quail, is that too much as well? I didnt really know how much to feed. They are on 20% chicken grower feed and I heard they needed about 28% protein.

My quail do fine on 16 layer feed after they start laying with no worms. Might not be quite as plump, but they aren't for eating anyhow and act healthy.

And yes, per hen. I believe my male would get about 12 of the long ones or 20 of the broken ones.

My quail do fine on 16 layer feed after they start laying with no worms. Might not be quite as plump, but they aren't for eating anyhow and act healthy.

And yes, per hen. I believe my male would get about 12 of the long ones or 20 of the broken ones.
okay, so should i add protein and see how much the chickens choose to eat?

Back
Top Bottom