how much feed

laruec

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Hi! My husband and I are completely new to this, but we will be rasing chickens in May (the eggs will hatch then), and I am curious to know how much Chick/starter feed I will need for 10 chicks (hopefully!), for 8 weeks or so. Basically, I want to know if it would be a waste to buy the 50lb bag, which seems to be all I can find

I bought 11 day old rhode island reds and the 50lb bag lasted about 5 weeks. I just bought a second 50lb bag. You will use it all.

thank you so much! I'm sure I'm going to have plenty more questions, but I'm also reading through the forum, because I'm realizing I don't know exactly what to ask yet!

Chicks don't eat like you'd expect. My six 2-week old chicks eat like PIGS!!!
lau.gif
I have a bottle chick feeder you can get at Fleetfarm and they eat one of those everyday. I would guess 4 - 5 cups???

sandyj

I've been reading, and trying to keep up with the new posts, for about a month now. These are the first chickens I've had. Well, that is if I don't count the 20 roosters someone dumped off at our place in Tx. Unfortunately all but one were wild and the neighbours dogs had chicken dinners for about a week. The one stayed in our yard and acted like he was a dog. He would guard the yard from the guy that read the electric meter and follow us around. It was really funny to see him sleeping between our big dogs.

Back
Top Bottom