1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laruec, Apr 4, 2009.

1. laruec

laruec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    Hi! My husband and I are completely new to this, but we will be rasing chickens in May (the eggs will hatch then), and I am curious to know how much Chick/starter feed I will need for 10 chicks (hopefully!), for 8 weeks or so. Basically, I want to know if it would be a waste to buy the 50lb bag, which seems to be all I can find

2. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I bought 11 day old rhode island reds and the 50lb bag lasted about 5 weeks. I just bought a second 50lb bag. You will use it all.

3. laruec

laruec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    thank you so much! I'm sure I'm going to have plenty more questions, but I'm also reading through the forum, because I'm realizing I don't know exactly what to ask yet!

4. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    You didn't buy to much They will eat it. It won't take that long

5. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Chicks don't eat like you'd expect. My six 2-week old chicks eat like PIGS!!! [​IMG] I have a bottle chick feeder you can get at Fleetfarm and they eat one of those everyday. I would guess 4 - 5 cups???

sandyj

6. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I've been reading, and trying to keep up with the new posts, for about a month now. These are the first chickens I've had. Well, that is if I don't count the 20 roosters someone dumped off at our place in Tx. Unfortunately all but one were wild and the neighbours dogs had chicken dinners for about a week. The one stayed in our yard and acted like he was a dog. He would guard the yard from the guy that read the electric meter and follow us around. It was really funny to see him sleeping between our big dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by