How Much Feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by RhodeIslandReds, Aug 22, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Is it alright for 2 week olds to have feed all day long.

Thanks,
    RIrs

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I allow mine to have all that they want. I've read that that chicks will "self-regulate", meaning that they will not eat themselves sick.

3. RhodeIslandReds

RhodeIslandReds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    fl
    Ok thanks for the info just didnt want to over feed them

Thanks,
    RIrs

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    ummm . . . Just a heads up; that depends on what type of chicks, and if by all day you might possible mean all day and all night.
    Not all chicks "regulate themselves" especially not the CX meat birds that we are discussing the majority of the time on this thread.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    MIne empty their feeders 2x a day-they get fed first thing in am and them before bed-lights go out at 8:30pm and their feeder is empty by morning!

Is this too much Katy? I open their cages up in am for them to roam around and get needed excercise-someone was right when they said those suckers will beat anyone out who tried to get their food when fed. I watched yesterday when I put their feeders down and screw all the big birds trying to get it-it was like a killer wave of beastie white bulbie butt walls protecting their turf!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm only feeding mine once a day in the evening at around 6 pm. All of my CX"S and FR are gaining weight like crazy. They have to get up to eat unless its in the morning or late at night ( I put it in their pen at night before I lock them up. I've been hanging it in a tree that they have to get up to eat. I give them probably 20lbs feed a day.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:HOW MANY DO YOU HAVE???

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:well, I've only raised one batch of full on CX so far so take my voice of experience with a grain of salt: I fed mine plain flock raiser free choice during the day, had them reach weight on time and with no problems. I understand that a lot of the leg/heart issues come from feeding extra high protien free choice 24 hours (light on at night). My friend got hers from the same hatch as mine but fed them like you - AM & PM, hers were far behind mine on making weight.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:well, I've only raised one batch of full on CX so far so take my voice of experience with a grain of salt: I fed mine plain flock raiser free choice during the day, had them reach weight on time and with no problems. I understand that a lot of the leg/heart issues come from feeding extra high protien free choice 24 hours (light on at night). My friend got hers from the same hatch as mine but fed them like you - AM & PM, hers were far behind mine on making weight.

hmmm ok I dont have them on lights at night though-so they must be going on smell to the feeders-Ill make sure I limit them at night...Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by