1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Flyboy718, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    How many pounds of feed will a barred rock hen eat each day...with no free ranging of any kind?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I keep my feeders full all the time, so I never really know exactly how much my barred rock hen eats. Why don't you try measuring out a pound, and see how much she eats of it in one day. Sort of like an experiment.

I always feed free choice. Chickens don't usually overeat and become fat, unless of course, you're feeding them people food that isn't good for them.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since every bird is different, this is hard to say with specificity. My educated guess would be 2 or 3 cups or 8 oz each. If you find that is too much, you can always cut back a bit. It takes some trial and error. You do not want them hungry, as few birds truly over eat. Can you describe why you are searching for a ration/portion information? Meal planning? [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Just trying to get an idea of how much my feed bill is going to be each year for 9 barred rocks. Assuming each bird eats 8 oz a day as you indicated as a possibility then that equates to 72 oz or 4.5 lbs per day times 365 days equals 1,642.5 lbs of feed divided by 50 lb equals 33 sacks at $15 a sack equals $495.00 a year in feed. Sound right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by