How much feeder space?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckn Crazy, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I have 6 chickens, Lohmann hens, and I recall reading about minimum space per bird at a feeder. Twice a day they are fed and feed remains out all day, but I am overdue for a proper chicken feeder. I've purchase the pvc pipe and fittings needed for a pvc feeder, like I've seen on this site (thank you!) as my coop space is limited. However, when I do feed they swarm their feed tray and I'm concerned about fighting. Any comments would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    are you going to have feed in the feeder at all times? They will all pick at different times and wont swarm around it as much. I have a 3 foot long trough, I just upgraded after 5 new babies. It it plenty of room with no fighting and 13 chickens.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I believe the recomended feeder spacing is 6 inches per bird. That being a trougth feeder or rain gutter mounted off the ground.

I use the hanging circular feeder in the run. It works fine for 7 chickens as the shoulder to shoulder space nears 6 inches accounting for the chickens standing in wider circle than the feeder. They only all feed at once when initially comming out of coop or the occational mob mentality sets in. And yeah, like you I incorporated the PVC feeder into the coop to save on space.

4. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    So if food is left out all day, where they would have access inside the coop, would a feeder like this be sufficient for 6 chickens? Or am I fooling myself. It would seem most are providing more feeder space per bird.

[​IMG]

Thanks you to Jeb251 for his ideas and to those who have posted!

5. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Oh heavens! Six inches per bird? I am in serious need of some changes I guess. We have 17 chickens, one feeder and one waterer. I haven't noticed any issues with it. They range all day and come and go as they please in the coop.

6. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    As long as you don't have a particularly pushy hen or a particularly meek hen in the bunch that should be fine. 6 inches per hen is the general guideline but if you're not limit feeding you can usually get away with a LOT less. [​IMG]

7. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    What exactly is limit feeding? Is that when you have set feeding times?

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    When you limit the amount of food the chickens get, feeding only a certain amount per day -- whether at set times or not -- rather than leaving feed available for them at all times.

9. KelBelle

Aug 15, 2010
    So what would be a reason to do that?

10. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Didn't read all the post but the chicken book I have says if it is a trough kind that they need 4 inches per bird and if it circular that they only need 2 inches per bird. Like someone said tho they won't all swarm the feeder at once, they will establish a heirarchy and the top hen will eat first with those that she allows and the others will be able to get at it when she has had her fill....that is how mine are anyway. If there is alot to go around and it is spread out she will share but when it starts to run out she runs the others off so she can scour the ground for any remnants. With the feeder tho it is her first (Leghorn in charge) then the EE then the Buff and only then can the other 5 have a shot at eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by