How much fence do I need to keep Alpine goats in?

Yetti

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Grass Lake / Chelsea,Mi
I currently have 8 acres fenced and its split into 4 pastures. One is about 3.5 acres and gets very over grown.
My neighbor has 12 Alpines that she has on about 1 acre. its been ate to the ground and I was thinking of asking her to let them stay in in the back pasture.
Its only 47"-11-6 fence without any hot wires. is that enough to keep them in?
on a side note the neighbor uses stock panels and no hot wire.

Not sure what you mean by 11 6 fencing, is it like field fencing that has 6 inch holes or so? if thats the case then that should be enough to keep them in just fine!

47"-11-6

Not sure what you mean by 11 6 fencing

I suspect the numbers are out of order

It's usually Height/ size of openings/ gauge of wires

I think they meant 47/6/11, which would mean it's 47 inches tall with 6 inch squares and 11 Ga wire​

I have 8 goats which rotate. We use a soft, electric fence (mostly to keep them safe). The secret is to keep them together and well fed, and they will not go anywhere else. We got our fence at the Tractor Suppy store.
110514_092011_my_goats.jpg

My wife was talking like we should get a couple of the smaller goats, but I have concerns about Coyotes out here. they run in spurts. we won't see any for months then a small group will come through and hang around a few days at a time. how well suited are the alpines for dealing with them?

how well suited are the alpines for dealing with them?

No goats can "deal" with most predators.

A good electric fence can help, or guardian dogs.

Even a good "yard dog" can help​

Back
Top Bottom