How much food do 4 chickens eat each day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chilisweet, Jun 30, 2008.

1. chilisweet

chilisweet Songster

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm trying to figure out what size feeding unit to get for them. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
    ~Caran

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am not sure how much because I just make sure they have food 24/7. I think that bigger is always better for a couple of reasons:

1. You will not have to fill their container as often

and

2. You will probably want more hens and then you won't have to get a bigger feed container. **hint, hint, hint....

3. digitS'

digitS' Songster

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Four light-weight hens will eat about 1 pound of feed each day. Hens of heavier breeds may eat as much as twice that.

One pound of feed would be between 3 and 4 cups depending on the how it is prepared.

Hope that helps.

Steve

4. Now I am glad i looked at this post. I don't think I have been fiiding my hens enough food. and will need to get more going now that I am going to have more chickens in coop soon.

5. chilisweet

chilisweet Songster

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:hahaha I keep telling my hubby that we will need a bigger feeding thing for that exact reason...he thinks im nuts! [​IMG]

~Caran

6. freshegg

freshegg Songster

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I made a five gallon bucket feeder for $3.55 and actually saved cause it seemed I was using more(wasting) when I spread it or put in a pan. I use 50 pounds for 8 hens a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by