How much food do chickens actually consume free ranging?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alogue5173, Sep 17, 2012.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I let my chickens out to freen range each morning and put them up in the late evening. They have adapted really well and enjoy meandering around during the day pecking at stuff. I always give them feed in their pen in the am when I let them out and I feed them in the evenings when I put them up. They go back to their coop to lay egss and everything seems to work beautifully for them and me. However this morning when I gave them feed they were ravenous and acted like they haven't had feed in a hundred years. Not sure about this as it has never happened before. They are usually more eager to get out and free range than eat in the mornings. Could it be due to the fact that the weather is starting to get a little cooler or could it be due to something else?

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Chickens can be really odd. Sometimes when I refill my birds feeder they act like I never feed them. Which is certainly not the case. Other days they ignore me.

If you are worried they are not getting enough to get you can check their crops as they come in from free ranging. If they are empty then they have not been eating. But as long as they are pooping good and not loosing weight I would not worry about it.

3. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Thanks!

4. humphrey farms

humphrey farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    Naples Maine
    My chickens do the same thing. Sometimes they ignore their crumles in the morning and just want to free range. Then eat scratch at night. The next day they clean up all the crumbles and ask for more.. silly peeps![​IMG]

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I turn my geese and turkeys out into yard and pastures during the day to forage. It saves on feed...

The chickens have access to turn out pens but not much in there to forage!

I read somewhere that you can reduce your feed bills by 25% if they free range AND you keep them wormed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by